Several Years Later

The years came and went. Everyone moved into their new homes with their partners, all except Tails, who turned his home into a workshop for his inventions. Y/N's twenty-fifth birthday flew by, after which all the couples decided it was time to share their lives as two in one. The honeymoons passed in the blink of an eye. It was only one morning in October when Shadow's life improved even more. Y/N was sorting out stuff from lunch when she confessed.

"Shadow?"
"Yeah?"
"I need to tell you something."
He got up and stood beside her, "What's wrong?"
"I've been meaning to tell you this for a while, but..." One hand traced over her stomach.
His eyes widened, "You're joking!"
"No. It's true... I'm pregnant."
Shadow remembered it all. Everything they had done two nights before in their bedroom, the vomiting the day after, her staying in the bathroom for about half an hour.

"I...I..."
"You're gonna be a father."
"I know! Oh gosh, I've got to tell the others."
"You go. I'll finish sorting out here."

Shadow couldn't believe what he had just heard. He was going to be a father! Him, of all people! He skidded to a halt outside Sonic and Amy's house.
"Sonic! You in there?"
"Yeah, one sec, I'll be right down!

In no time at all, Sonic opened the door, "Whoa, Shadow, I've never seen you so excited! What's got you so worked up?"

"I'm gonna be a father!"
"Oh my gosh! When did you find out?"
"Just now!"
"Amy!"
"Yeah?"

"You really need to hear this!"
"I'm coming, I'm coming. I'm not as fast as you, you know!"
"I know, I know."
"What's up?"
"Shadow's going to be a dad."
"Oh my gosh! So are Knuckles and Silver!"
"Oh my days, this is amazing!"
"Do you want us to pass the word on?"
"Yeah, I've got to get back."
"OK. We'll let everyone know."
"Thanks, you two."

It took Shadow less than a minute to get home. Lunch was waiting for him, as was Y/N. She was sat on the sofa eating a bar of chocolate.
"I thought you'd be eating healthier stuff."
"Yeah, well, I'm getting weird cravings. It's just a side effect."
He flopped down beside her, "I know. I'm just thrilled."
"So am I."
"Come here," he wrapped both arms around her, pulling her closer. She rested her lips on his, smiling as he kissed her softly.