The Baby

Y/N's POV

Pain wracked Y/N's body. It had been nine months since she had told Shadow about the baby, and it was finally time. She clutched his hand, pushing as hard as she could.
"Keep going! I can see it, it's almost there!" the nurse encouraged her.
"Come on Y/N. I know you can do it," Shadow gently squeezed her hand.
She nodded and pushed harder than ever. A minute later, the pain ebbed away as the cry of a newborn child rang out.
"I'll go clean her up. Be right back."
The nurse left. The door closed behind her as Shadow hugged Y/N. She leaned against him, completely shattered.
"Well done. You did it."
"We did it. If you hadn't been here i probably wouldn't have made it."
The nurse came back in, carrying a small bundle in her arms, "Here she is. Your daughter."
"So what are we going to call her?" Shadow leaned his head on Y/N's as she took their child in her arms.
"I think..." Y/N trailed off as the baby opened her eyes. They were as brilliant blue as the sky on a summer's day, like her's when she had been human, but her quills were the same as her father's.
"I think we should call her Maria. She's got Maria's eyes from what I've heard," Y/N nudged Shadow gently.
"Perfect. Just perfect for her."

As the three hedgehogs left the hospital together, Maria fell asleep quickly in her mother's arms. Sonic and Silver met them outside. Blaze had given birth to her's and Silver's child only three days before. They had named their son Lancelot, from the old legend of King Arthur. Knuckles and Rouge had had twins, a boy and a girl, named Hannah and Will, short for William. 
"Hey guys."
"Aw, she's adorable."
"Shh, Silver, she's asleep."
"Oh, sorry."
"So what did you call her?" Sonic was eager to find out.
"Maria. You should see her eyes."
"Oh really?"
"Don't you dare wake her up."
"OK, OK."
"Shadow, I think it's time we all went home and slept for a bit."
"I agree," Shadow yawned and summoned one of the Chaos Emeralds, which Y/N had repaired and worked with Knuckles and the Master Emerald to give them their power back, "Chaos Control!"
In a second, all five of them were transported back to Y/N and Shadow's home. Y/N quickly took Maria through to her bedroom. The baby yawned, showing slightly sharpened teeth like her mother's wolfish canines.
"You really do take after your parents don't you?" Y/N chuckled, setting her daughter down in the cot next to her bed, "You've got my teeth and my human eyes, and your father's quills."
Maria giggled, kicking her tiny legs. Y/N gently rocked the cot, humming "Safe and Sound" to help Maria sleep. Shadow slipped in quietly, having let the other two boys escape.
"Hey."
"Hey Shadow."
"Hi Maria."
Maria gurgled a bit at the sight of her dad. Y/N smiled and gently picked her daughter out of the cot. She placed her in Shadow's arms.
"You hold her. She's your daughter as much as she is mine."
Shadow lifted Maria up to his chest, "Hello, Maria."
Maria reached out with both her tiny hands, grasping her father's chest fur. She had a small white V-shaped mark just below her neck as well. Shadow laughed.
"Why do kids always have to be so cute?"
"It's natural. She's adorable."
"I know. She takes after her mother."
"Just wait until she can talk."
"Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet."
"OK, OK. I know she's going to be just as strong as her father though."

A/N

Don't go anywhere just yet! There's still more to come!