Maria's Birthday

Years passed, feeling like seconds. Maria grew into a strong-willed, yet gentle child. Her ninth birthday was the most dramatic of all. Her parents had hidden all the decoration under the sofa in the living room, so when she went out to school with Sonic, Amy, Lancelot, William and Hannah, they could put everything up without her knowing. There was a massive celebration for her at school, but it was nothing compared to what Y/N and Shadow had planned. They hid behind the sofa waiting for Maria to come home. All the other adults hid in various places.
"Mom, Dad, I'm home! Where are you?"
"In the living room!" Y/N called back, holding in her laughter. Shadow let loose a quiet snigger beside her, "Shh, she'll hear you."
"Sorry."
Maria walked in, having hung her school bag up with her coat, Sonic, Amy, and the kids behind her.
"Surprise!"
"Oh my gosh!"
Everyone burst out laughing as Maria rushed into her parents' arms.
"Happy Birthday, Maria."
"Thanks Mom. Thanks Dad."
Rouge burst out of the kitchen doors carrying four huge presents, "Here you go, hun. These are from me and Knuckles."
"Thanks Auntie Rouge!"
"You two are really good parents," Sonic laughed, his and Amy's tiny daughter in his arms.
"Thanks Sonic. I never thought I'd make a good father."
"You never thought you'd be a father, Shadow," Y/N laughed, one arm around him.
"Dad, is there any cake?" Maria squeaked, now nearly buried in a pile of presents.
"You'll just have to wait and see, won't you?"
B/F/N and F/N, now aunts and mothers of their own sons, Percy and Charlie, came over to their sister. All three of them hugged, laughing.
"Sonic's right, sis. You're an amazing mother."
"Aww, thanks. But I couldn't have done it without Shadow."
B/F looked over at Shadow, who was talking to Sonic and Silver, "You two are a great team."
The doorbell suddenly rang. Everyone fell silent listening to it.
"I'll go see who it is," Y/N started towards the door, "You guys get the party started without me."
Y/N opened the front door, but there was nobody there. She glanced up and down the street, but it was empty too. Looking down, a small white envelope lay near her feet. She picked it up carefully. It was addressed to her and Shadow. Returning to everyone else, she beckoned him over, telling him to bring her sisters, Sonic and Silver. The group of them headed into the kitchen where they could talk privately.

"What's wrong?" Shadow started off as soon as the door was closed.
"This envelope was left on the doorstep. I don't recognise the handwriting, but it's giving me the chills for some reason."
"Well, let's see what's inside!"
In side was a letter, made with newspaper scraps. A blackmail letter, but it was more a warning than a threat.
""We're coming back for you", huh? Doesn't sound too bad."
"That's the problem. Who could it be that sent this? All our worst enemies are either dead or behind... Oh no," Y/N stopped as a horrible thought hit her, "Scourge and Scorch can't have escaped, could they?"
"I don't think so," Shadow reassured her.
"But, if not them, then who?"
"I don't know."
"Let's not tell the others. No point in getting them worked up."
"Yeah."