Chaos Energy? What Chaos Energy?

Leaving Zeleon and his slaves behind, the group of four ran until they were sure they were safe. A ruined building stood in front of them.
"Isn't that..." Silver started to say.
"Egghead's lair!"
"What the heck happened here?"
"Zeleon happened, stupid."
"Oh yeah."
Setting Shadow carefully down on a rock, Y/N went further in. By the time she came back, he was pulling tape out of his fur.
"There's nothing further in. I guess we can crash here for a bit. It's not like anyone's using it."
Shadow yanked a stubborn piece of tape off him, wincing as it pulled some of his fur out with it, "Yeah..."
Hauling himself up, he limped inside, still aching from the electricity.

It hadn't been long after taking shelter in Eggman's run down lair before the four of them started exploring, B/F/N and F/N still knocked out in the crates.
"Do you think that's drug's stronger if you use it on humans?"
"Maybe. I mean, look how long it's kept these two out."
"I know, right."
Shadow hadn't spoken the entire time. A quiet buzzing purred in the corner of his mind, small to begin with, but getting louder by the second until it overwhelmed him.
"Shad? You OK?"
He groaned, "My head..."
"Woah, woah, easy there. Don't die on me again, "Y/N was instantly by his side.
Shadow suddenly felt all the Chaos energy he'd been created with drain from him, "NO!" It could only mean one thing.
"What is it?"
"The Chaos Emeralds... They've been destroyed!"