Friends, Just Friends

It turns out that Rouge had left the house and had started towards the park. Shadow had searched every room, but she was nowhere to be found.

"Tails, see if you can track Rouge. I can't find her anywhere."

"No problem, Shadow. She's just heading for the park, not far from you. If you head down that alley in front of you, you'll be ahead of her."

"Thanks," Shadow knew he was way faster than Rouge. Even if he took the long route he'd still beat her. Be that as it may, he thought, better not take any chances. He shot through the alley, nearly bumping into somebody standing in the darkness between the two buildings.

"Sorry."
"No problem."

As Shadow sped out of the gap, he thought he heard the same person whisper, "I've found him."

Rouge approached the park slowly, not knowing Shadow had followed her and was waiting at the gate. When she saw him leaning against the gatepost, she leapt into the air and fled down the street.

"Rouge, wait!" Shadow shot up behind her, catching hold of her arm, "I just want to talk to you."

"Why? You have her now. Why do you want to talk to me?"
"Because you're my friend, Rouge. You need to remember that I spend time with everyone, not just Y/N."

"Fine," she sighed.

Shadow gently touched her arm, feeling a sudden tremor go through her, "Why did you run off?"
"I thought you didn't like me any more, now you have her. I thought you didn't care about me."

"Of course I care about you Rouge. You're part of my team."
"Then why did you attack me all those years ago?"
"I went mad, OK? I never really wanted you to come to any harm."

Rouge flung herself into his arms. Surprised, he hugged her, as friends.

"So, shall we go home? Everyone else is worried about you."
"OK."

When Shadow and Rouge returned home, she was greeted by a tackle hug from Knuckles.

"Rouge, never do that to me again!"

"Aw, Knuckles."

Shadow smiled, shaking his head, and looked at Y/N. Her quills looked damp; she obviously had just taken a shower. She was sat alone on the sofa, looking almost separate to everyone else. Concerned, he sat beside her.

"You OK?"
"Yeah I'm fine."

Her head rested on his shoulder, the water in her quills slowly trickling down his back. He shivered a bit, making her put an arm around him. They stayed silent for a while, during which he gently kissed her forehead. Her quills smelt faintly of roses.

"Shadow..."

He looked up at Knuckles and Rouge, "Yeah?"
"Thanks. For everything."