7

I woke up at 1pm. So much for making it to school on time. I sat on the edge of the bed and stared at myself in the mirror. The mirror went from the floor to the top of the closet doors.

I looked crazy. My phone started ringing and my screen lit up. I had 20 missed calls.

"Hello?" I answered clearing my throat.

"Jalea finally. Come to the hospital now. Damarius is in surgery." It was Tatiana. Before I could ask any questions she hung up.

I rolled my eyes getting out of bed and threw on joggers, a plain tee, and forces. I left my hair down and put on my Nike baseball cap. I got my phone and wallet and walked downstairs. Ray was on the couch.

She looked at me then quickly looked away. I didn't say anything. Just walked outside making sure to close the door behind me.

I took the bus to the hospital and seen Tati outside. She ran up to me. I just looked at her blankly. Why was she back here? After I hit her and she said she would stay out of my life...

"I know what I said. But they called me because you wouldn't answer the phone. Damarius went into surgery. I forget why. But I guess he woke up. I'll leave if you want." She explained.

"Yeah. Bye." I walked past her and inside to the waiting room. I sat down on my phone. All of a sudden, my 'trap' phone went off. I had a text from you know who. I didn't even know his name.

Boss: Be here in 10 minutes.

I got up and felt my heart drop. That trap house was at least 15 minutes away by car. I only had two feet. If I ran, I would probably make it in 10 minutes. Maybe a little earlier. So I ran.

I ran. Dodging cars. Ignoring traffic lights and other people. I ran right into the doors of the house. I guess I scared them because I had 3 guns to my head in under 5 seconds.

I put my hands up and tried to catch my breath. Boss seen me and yelled at them to put their guns away. He took me down to the office and put a gun on the table along with a pocket knife.

"You bring your gun?" He asked.

"Shit. Nah I was at the hospital." I said panting.

"It's good. That gun is for home safety only. I'm about to send you out with a few of my best. I got a man that stole from me. So you four are gonna break into his house, take his dog, his safe, and his daughter." I looked at him wide eyed.

"His daughter?" I never even stole money from anyone and we were about to kidnap someone's kid.

"She's 13. Just gag her, tie her up and do the deed. Aight. Put these on." He handed me an over sized black hoodie and a bandana. I put them on with the bandana on my face. The other three people walked in. It was 3 guys.

"We riding with her? What damage is she gonna do?" One of them asked giving me a look of doubt. I scoffed.

"I can do damage. Let's just go." I said rolling my eyes. I followed them outside to a car. We were in a very secluded area. No one could see past the trees. The only one of us who looked grown drove the car. It took 45 minutes to get to the house and I was mentally preparing myself the whole time. We're about to kidnap a girl and rob a house.

"Aight so he isn't home right now. His daughter is home though. So don't make too much noise until she sees us or we see her. Come on." The guy who doubted me said opening his car door. We all got out and ran to the back door. He opened the door right up. There had been tape on the door so it wouldn't lock. I wonder which one of them did that.

We went in and he sent me upstairs. I went up and looked in each room. The girl was in the bathroom. She was listening to loud music so there was no way she would have heard us. I stood next to the door with a chloroform cloth in my hand.

I waited and waited. So long that one of the other guys came up and waited with me to help. Finally, she opened the door and stepped out. She seen us and screamed but I cut her off putting the cloth over her face. Seconds later she was out. We tied her up and they put her in the trunk with the dog and other stuff. The trunk..

We left 20 minutes before the guy would have been home. Lucky us. When we got back to the trap, I was told I didn't have to stay. So I left. I had so much on my mind that I had forgotten about my brother. I turned my phone back on and seen a missed call from the hospital. I caught the bus there and went inside.

I went to Damarius's room but he wasn't in there. It was empty. I thought I was in the wrong room. Then a nurse tapped me on the shoulder.

"Are you a friend of Damarius?" She asked.

"I'm his younger sister." I stated causing her face to droop.

"I'm so sorry. He didn't make it through surgery. There was nothing we could do." She continued explaining what happened but I just walked out of there while she was talking. I walked to Ken's house and knocked on the door. I had forgot my key. She opened the door and let me in.

"Why were you at the hospital for so long?" She asked. I didn't realize that it was now 7pm. We were at that house for a long time. I shook my head.

"He was in surgery. He didn't make it." I said. I was shocked at the fact that I wasn't crying yet. Ken looked at me with wide eyes.

".........I-" It was clear that Ken didn't know how to handle this.

"Nah I'm good. I'll be good. I'm gonna go home though. For a little bit." I ran up and got my key and left. I went home and walked inside. It was silent. Of course. No one was here. My only brother was dead. My sister was locked up. My best friend and my sister is dead too. I didn't know what to do. I grabbed a full bottle of Henny from the cabinet and sat on the couch.

I didn't care if I ended up dead in the morning. I just needed to escape.