Numb

Nicki POV

"I had a dream Demi." I look over at her with a serious face. She squeezes my hand softly.

"About what Nicki."

"My sister." I look her straight in the eyes hoping they'll tell me what I'm already suspecting.

She gulped and I could see the sadness in her eyes at the mention of Sarah.

"What about her?" Demi looks down at my fingers while she plays with them.

"She came to visit me while I was in the ICU. She told me it wasn't my time yet so I had to keep fighting, that giving up wasn't an option. Then, she kissed my forehead and told me she would be watching over me, that she didn't hurt anymore and her pain was all gone. After that, she vanished."

I looked at her again hoping she could give me any inclination that I was mistaken. I was hoping she would tell me my sister is alive and well and she was in a hospital bed getting better. That she would recover from whatever had ailed her in the past. I wanted her to tell me my sister was alive....

Instead I received a weak attempt at a smile and a stare full of sorrow and mourning. A stare that only inclined of a recent death. They guided me towards my worst nightmares and made me face the truth of having to live without my sister. The only living family I had left.

"She.... she didn't make it Nicki.... I... I'm so sorry...." by now tears were rushing down her face and yet I felt nothing.

There was no pain or hurt. Only the numbness of the facts. My sister is gone, forever. And it's my fault. I left her at a time where she really needed me. She really needed a sister and I was too caught up in the fame of my life that i declined to consider the feelings and mental health of my sister.

Demi out of everyone should have seen the warning signs. She had gone through the same hardship my sister was steering towards and yet she refused to notice them. This isn't her fault though. I shouldn't be weighing my mistakes on Demi.

"How long ago?" My voice was cold, monotone.

"Not long after you arrived at the hospital." Her thumb swept across the side of my hand.

"Did you bury her already?"

"No we decided to cremate her. That way when you were better you could come to the ceremony." Demi wipes her tear away.

"Is the ceremony already planned? Or do I have to make the final arrangements?" I looked down at my feet.

"Everything is ready we just need your okay to go on with the plans." Demi's voice was soft.

"It's fine just go on with them."

"You don't want to see what we have plan-"

"NO, Demi, I don't but thank you." I hurt her feelings I could tell.

But she let it roll off of her shoulder. I heard a knock at my door which couldn't be Dallas or her mom because they went to our house to shower and eat like ten minutes ago.

"Come in!" Simon and Tulisa walk through the door wielding flowers.

"Sorry we couldn't come earlier. They wouldn't let us since we aren't family. Not until you woke up anyway." Simon sat the flowers by my bedside table.

"They're beautiful thank you." I smile softly.

Tulisa takes my hand in hers and holds it. I could feel Demi grow tense with jealousy. Her eyes stayed locked with every movement Tulisa made.