Water Works

I knocked twice and opened her dressing room door. "Demi?" I say as I look around the room for her.

"Come in." She said behind a curtain.

She was changing her clothes into something more comfortable. Demi comes from behind the curtains and sits down on the couch with her legs to her chest and her chin resting on her knees.

It broke my heart a bit. She looked so sad and lost. I hadn't realized how much my actions had hurt her. I was stupid.

I sit beside her and look at her. "I'm sorry..."

She rolls her eyes. "No Demi I really am sorry. It's just. That was a sensitive topic for me." I stare into her eyes.

She shakes her head. "Why do they not understand or something?"

"No they're dead." I look in front of me at the wall.

She gasps and sits up straight. "I'm sorry. When did... It.. "

"A month ago." I felt numb. My voice was monotone. Demi fell silent so I continued.

"My dad is... Was... An alcoholic. He was driving home with my mom in the car and.... And.... they crashed...," tears fall from my face, "they were ejected from the car and died on site." I bite my thumb nail trying to keep from completely letting go.

Demi took me in her arms and I laid on her chest as I listened to her heartbeat. It was rhythmic and calmed my tears. She played with my hair and held me until I calmed down.

"Lets go." She whisper and kissed my head.

I sit up and look at the ground for a minute before wiping my tears and collecting myself. I stand up and open the door for her.

-

Demi took my back go my hotel. She ran water for a bath for me and let me have my privacy.

"I'll be right out here okay?" She pointed to the living quarters.

"Okay..." I looked up at her not wanting her to leave but I also didn't want her to watch my lose myself.

I still remember seeing their faces in the casket. They were lifeless. My mother wasn't the women I knew. The women I watched sleep at night when I was little and I knew she was exhausted so I let her sleep.

My dad... Fuck him. If it wasn't for him my mom would still be here.. with me. I would have her to talk to about Demi and how our relationship is all coming together.

I could tell her of the first time we touched and how it made me feel. I could tell her how much I missed her and ask her how my little sister is.

But I know how my sister is. She's lost. She's broken, defeated. She won't return any of my calls and I can't blame her. I haven't been the best sister since my career has taken off.

I climb out of the tub and let the water out. My towel surrounds my body and leaves a warm sensation cascading around my body.

I finally put my PJs on and meet Demi in the kitchen. It smelled divine. She made me lemon chicken and a potato with vegges.

She's seriously the best girlfriend ever. I don't think anyone knows me as much as she does which is odd regarding we haven't been together for that long.

Demi grabs her jacket. "There's a cold Dr. Pepper for you in the fridge and I made your bed for you."

"Don't leave. Please." I look at her pleading.

She kisses me gently and whispers "never" against my lips.

That night we ate dinner and she held me in bed while I cried myself to sleep. I didn't even cry like this at the funeral.