Deceit

Brian pushed the brown file toward me. I opened it up and looked down at the police records. "They're using an alias. They're real names are Brenda and Kevin James. They've been married for about ten years and it seems their favorite past time is conning and murder." He said to me.

"Wait. So they aren't Nicki's family?"

"No, she's just another victim! They go to hospitals where the person has no family, is in very critical condition, and they make them sick!"

I look up at him. "How?" I kept skimming through the papers.

"They put things in the IV to slowly poison them. Then, when they die they receive all of their belongings and money."

My eyes grow wide. "Call the police and let them know what's going on! We need to save Nicki before its too late!"

I run out of the cafe and jump in my car before peeling away towards the hospital.

I got there before the cops did and handed Dr. Evans the police files.

"Oh shit." He runs towards Nicki's door and wiggles the door handle. "It's locked! Demi you need to run and I mean run fast! Go get me the keys at the nurses station. NOW!"

I ran faster than I think I've ever ran in my entire life. I grabbed the keys and sprinted back in no time.

He unlocked the door right as they filled her IV with a blue fluid. The cops filed in behind us. "Mr.and Mrs. James, you're under arrest. You have the right to remain silent. Everything you say or do can be used against you in the court of law.

" I'm sorry to break this up but we need to give her immediate medical care. They put something in her IV." Dr. Evans looked at the police. They shook their heads signifying they understood.

"Her take this to the lab and see what it contains." The doctor handed the needle to a nurse.

-

I sat against the wall be Nicki's door waiting for the doctor. The door slowly opens. My mom and sisters head turn to see who it is. "Luckily the fluid they administered didn't reach her arm before we took the IV out and replaced it. But what they did have in the IV was a cleaning agent, Windex." He looked at us. "We took her blood and had it analyzed and it seems that was their first attempt to trying to harm her. But, she's stable and you can go see her now." He smiled at me.

I jumped up and almost ran into her room. I gently laid my head on her chest so I could hear her heartbeat. A tear rolled out of my eyes and splashed onto her chest.

A felt a hand rest on the back of my head so I slowly looked up. "Nicki?" I whispered.

"In the flesh." Nicki smiled softly.

I was so overjoyed, tears ran down my face. "Nurse!"

Bailey came in. "She's awake!" She started freaking out with happiness.

"Ooo, girl let me go get Dr. Evans!" She ran off towards him and I sat next to her on the bed brushing my finger across her cheek.

"I've missed you Nicki." I whispered.

"I dreamt of you." She whispered back.

I slowly leaned in for a kiss. Our lips touched sending a feeling of warmth throughout my body. It was as if we kissed for the very first time and I was falling in love all over again. My lips didn't want to pull away but the Doctor came in and he needed to check her vitals and run a few more tests.

"I'll be right here okay? I'm not going anywhere. I promise." I whispered before kissing her one last time and standing up.

"Can I sit in this chair while you do it?" I ask him
He smiled softly and shook his head yes.

It finally felt like I was getting my life back. Like everything was getting better.