Unexpected

I've been waiting all day just for her to be moved. I know the doctor is probably getting sick of me asking when but if he is he doesn't show it. I don't even know why I keep asking because I've already memorized what he's going to say. 'We ran a few tests but once the results come back we will move her. It should be around 1:30 in the afternoon'. Then he would look at her, and write something down on his clipboard.

"Dems you need to get some sleep. We will wake you up if anything happens." Dallas put her hand on my shoulder.

"No. I'm not going to sleep." I keep my eyes focused on Nicki.

I check my phone. 1:25.

The nurses are piling into Nickis room and undoing the machines. I become ecstatic. The doctor looks at me and smiles.

They move her down stairs. "Can I go see her?" I ask the doctor.

He opens the door for me and gives me his signature smile.

I walk in slowly and look at her. She looked so fragile. She was black and blue. I couldn't help myself but cry. She did look a lot better than when they brought her in. Her face used to be swollen and I couldn't hardly recognize her.

I took her hand in mine. "Hi baby... It's me... I'm here." No response.

"I love you. I kissed her hand." Again, no response. But it felt so damn good to touch her again.

Dallas and my mom stayed outside the door. They must have known I would want alone time.

I rubbed down her arm, slowly, with my fingertips. I kissed her forehead gently and smiled. It almost felt like a dream being so close to her.

I heard the door open. And I looked up. Two people I've never seen before walked in and started crying. It almost seemed as if they were putting on a show.

"Who the hell are you?" I was being protective again.

"I should be asking you the same thing." The lady said to me. "I'm her aunt. This is her uncle Bert. Now, who are you?"

"I'm her girlfriend." I stood protectively over Nicki.

They looked at each other in disgust. "Bert can you go get someone to remove her from the room."

My heart sunk. "You can't so that!"

She laughed. "Um, actually we can. We're family."

Bert came back in the room with the doctor. He looked at me with sad eyes. "I'm sorry demi..." He out his arm around my shoulder and I walked out with him.

My mom and Dallas looked at me confused but I walked past them. I walked past everyone until I was outside almost hyperventilating.

Something didn't seem right..... And I was determined to get down to the bottom of this.

"Hello, Brian. Do you still do detective work?"

"Yeah why."

"Meet me at the L.A hospital in 30. We need to talk."

I hung up the phone and crossed my arms.