Disgrace

I sat outside of Nicki's room. Her aunt and uncles still wouldn't let me see her and I wanted to be there for when she first opens her eyes. I wanted her to know I was there for her. I guess that's not going to happen.

My mom and sister and trying everything they can to let me see her but its no use. All my hopes are in Brian, the detective I hired to perform a back ground check on the two of them. So far everything has checked out for them.

But I don't buy it, there's something off about them and I'm sure Nicki would have told me about them. I still remember ain as day when she said she had literally no family left except for her sister. Which.... She doesn't even have her now.

My mom had her body cremated before their "aunt and uncle" came to town. They didn't even really seem to care about Sarah and they haven't mentioned her once. Maybe they weren't close? Who knows.

My mother arranged for Sarah's funeral a month from now. So that gave Nicki time to recover enough to attend the funeral.

I lay my head in my mom's shoulder. I feel defeated. There's nothing I can do now but hope she wakes up and wanted to see me. It's agonizing not being able to look at her, or just to touch her.

And to make things worse the man that I clocked in the nose is suing me! My lawyer assured me I had the upper hand in the case as he was an intruder in my personal affairs. I hope he's right because the last thing I need is to pay out a scum bag.

*buzz buzz*

Brian! I answered my phone in a frenzy. "Hello!"

"Demi there's something you need to know. It before I tell you we should probably meet up. How about the coffee shop downtown?"

"Yeah sure thing." I hung up and grabbed my coat.

"Mom tell me if anything changes please." I kissed her cheek and left.

I hailed a taxi, I wasn't about to drive with the lack of sleep I've been getting. "Coffeeshop, downtown please. The one on the corner."

The taxi driver nodded and continued down the road. I jumped out of the car needing to know what information he had. Hopefully something along the lines of me being able to see the love of my life.

I scanned the coffee shop for Brian. "Shit" I muttered. He wasn't there yet. He would probably be late like usual. Asshole.

I ordered a grande mocha latte figuring I needed the jolt of energy the coffee would accompany and sat down in a booth next to the window. It was private and secluded. I thought it would be a perfect place to sit without ears eavesdropping on our conversation.

Finally Brian walks through the door and turns to me with a huge grin on his face. That was good right? It must have meant he found something.

"Hello Ms. Lovato. Are you ready?" He pulls a file out of his jacket pocket and takes off his hat before he sits down.

"Yes" I say just above a whisper.

"Her aunt and uncle, aren't who they say they are."