Chapter 53

Numb.

It's defined as the inability to think, feel or respond normally.

Numb is what I'm feeling at this exact moment.

My knees wobble and I grip the corner of the table to steady myself. I don't know what's happening, I don't know how to digest this reality that has hit me like a truck.

Reality. Dream. Reality. Dream.

Is this reality? Or am I still in a dream?

"Sam..?" I manage to croak out.

"Yeah, bud?" His voice is full of concern.

"I think I'm in a dream.."

"Ty-"

"Do something for me." I snap out of the numbness that was settled over me and move quickly towards Sam.

"I need you to say 'Wake up, Tyler. Wake up.'"

Sam frowns. "I... What?"

"Sam, I need you to slowly and meaningfully say 'Wake up, Tyler. Wake up.' If this is a dream then I'll wake up by those words."

God knows how much I want this to be a nightmare . This can't be reality. Because if it is, then I've been dreaming the entire thing and just thinking about that is making me feel sick.

Sam opens his mouth but then closes it, biting his lip in confusion. For a split second I have this feeling that he won't do it, but maybe it's my frightened expression or maybe it's the fact that I need him, that he comes closer and stands right in front of me.

I close my eyes and wait for the words that are a part of me now. The words that have always caused disturbance, but right now are my only source of sanity.

"Wake up, Tyler. Wake up."

I slowly open my eyes and a wave of disappointment washes over me when I look at Sam observing me.

Numb.

It's being deprived of feeling or responsiveness.

Numb is what I'm feeling again as I absorb the dreaded fact that this is indeed reality.

As I stand there numbly, bits and pieces of the dream flash in my mind. Visions from a mere two minute dream, that now feel like a lifetime ago.

"I'm here now. I'll save you." There was her voice again; sweet as honey.

I squeeze my eyes shut as the next memory comes.

It all happens so quickly; I turn around the corner and before I can halt and move aside, I bump into a girl and end up pinning her to the wall. The impact causes her to make an "oomph" sound as her back hits the wall and I clash into her.

She looks at me angrily and says something but I don't listen, I can't concentrate on anything.
Because I'm staring into a pair of green eyes.

"The first time I met her.." I speak. "I bumped into her and pissed her off."

"We should really stop meeting like this."

"Huh?" I'm honestly too enchanted by her presence and her laugh and how her face glows that I can't understand what she's referring to.

"This. Colliding. It's the second time we're meeting and both times you've tried your hardest to crack my ribs."

I chuckle slightly, and Sam just gives me a worrying look.

"How long have you been working here?" I ask her.