Chapter 54

Sam's POV

I don't know what to do. For the first time in my life, I am completely, utterly clueless.

It amazes me how life always has something planned for you; be it good or bad. One second you think you have everything sorted out, you know you're headed in the right direction and that all around you is going according to plan.

And right the other second, your whole world comes tumbling down. You realize that you never actually had anything in control. You didn't have anything planned because quite frankly, you can never be the best of planners.

It's been a week since the infamous incident with Tyler happened. There I was, sitting in my office, waiting for him to come and give me the report on Ms. Andrews case. And he just came barging in with a mad look on his face. His suit was creased and dirty, as if he had been out on a run wearing it. His hair were untidy, as if he had passed his hands through them a million times. And that is very unlikely of him, let me tell you. He's always immaculate.

His eyes had a wild, scared look in them. For a second, I got really worried. But, I don't know, I just dismissed it as something unimportant and made fun of him.

It was when he growled at me that I realized that indeed something serious had happened.

And then he just started blabbering gibberish. Before I could even comprehend what he was trying to say, he mentioned Cassandra. I mean, who is she? I have never even heard of her and all of a sudden Tyler's dating her?

But that was nothing compared to the shock I felt when I realized that he thought it was October, instead of August. I swear to God, I had never been so terrified of anything until I saw my best friend's condition deteriorate.

He just kept standing there, talking to himself. More like mumbling. Just once or twice I heard him a bit clearly, but that's it.

One thing was clear, he had definitely experienced something life-changing. From all that I gathered, he dreamed of this girl, Cassandra, and she was unlike anyone he's ever been with.

Then he just fainted. There I was, standing in front of my best friend watching him lose his sanity. And within a split second he went unconscious. It took everything I had to not freak out and call 911. Doctor said he had a minor anxiety attack, which caused him to lose consciousness. He asked me the cause which might have paved the way to such stress, so I told him that Tyler lost someone he loved.

I know I said the right thing. Even though he fell in love with a girl who doesn't exist - God, as much as it sounds creepy saying it - he did fall in love anyways.

I discovered that day that the brain sends signals to shut the body for the time being when a person is experiencing immense pain. When the person is going through a lot of emotional or physical stress.

They kept him under observation in the hospital for two days, to check for any worsening or suicidal attempts. Fortunately, none happened.

But it's been almost five days and he's been at home all the time. He hasn't stepped foot at work, he hasn't gone out at all. He barely eats anything unless I or Suzanna literally have to spoon feed him. He keeps saying he's okay, that he's fine. But, I know how much pain he is in.

It kills me to see my best friend, my rock, become a lifeless body.

--------

"Babe? I'm home!" I call out as I enter and close the door.

"I'm in the kitchen."

My lips curve into a smile as her voice resonates in the hallway. I head into the kitchen and there she is, the love of my life, in jeans and a tank top.

My heart swells with happiness at the sight of her. I hastily go towards and pull her into a tight embrace.

"I love you." I whisper in her hair, and she pulls back to give me a kiss.

"I love you more." She trails her finger across my cheek. Even though there's a smile on her face, her eyes deceive her. They reflect how tired and upset she is.

Tyler and Suzanna didn't get off to a good start. She was vivacious and Tyler was reserved. There were times when he used to actually question me what I liked in her so much, considering she was a - and I quote - "no-filter mouth".

But as time passed, they became friends. Somehow, they accepted the fact that both of them were here to stay in my life, so they worked it out and embraced the differences. And soon they were the best of friends, more like brother and sister.

Looking at her, I can imagine what she must be going through, watching her best friend crumble to pieces. Because I am going through the same thing, too.

"You alright, love?"

She gives me a sad smile and gently nods her head. I bring my forehead against hers and pull her close. "I need you to do me a favour."

"Anything." She whispers.

I know what I'm gonna ask her to do is something that'll take a while for her to come around. It hasn't been all rainbows for her, she's had her share of traumatic episodes as well. But I need her to do this.

"I need you to talk to Tyler."

"Babe, I talk to him everyday. You know that."

"Yeah, no I know.. I mean.." I take a deep breath. "I need you to.. I need you to be his therapist.. I need you to talk to him about the dream.. About Cassandra."

She stiffens at my words and immediately pulls back. "Sam.. I.. I can't.. You know I can't.."

"I wouldn't have asked you if you couldn't.."

She shakes her head furiously. "No. No. No, no, no, no, no! I can't do this, I can't, I don't want to.. I can't-"

Before she bursts into tears, I pull her into a hug. "Hey, hey.. It's okay.. You're okay.. It's okay, Suzanna.."

She lets out a sob in my chest and I feel my heart break at her vulnerability. I already feel angry at myself for asking her to do this. But, God dammit, this has to happen.

"Baby, look at me. Look at me, please." I cup her cheeks and raise her face to have a proper look at her. Her eyes are red now and her cheeks are completely wet. My jaw clenches as an image of Tyler being in the same state crosses my head. I shake my head and concentrate on Suzanna.

"You know the state Tyler's been in. He won't go out of his house, and he refuses to see anyone. Suzanna.. He needs this. You're his friend, you're the only one he'll listen to."

"Sam.." She squeezes her eyes shut as a tear trails down her cheek. I stroke my thumb across, wiping it away.

"I know.. I know, love. It's hard for you. Believe me, I would've never asked you if there wasn't a need. But you and I both know he needs this. He needs us."

She bites her lips. I know she's considering the request, I can see it in her eyes.

"Please, babe.." I plead one last time.

She takes a sharp intake of breath and then swallows. "Okay.."

"Okay??"

"Okay. I'll do it." She says it more firmly now.

"Really??" My vision blurs as tears pool in my eyes. "You'll do it?"

"Yes. I will." She smiles. "I don't know how I will, it's been so long.. But I'll try my best. I.. I can't see him like this.."

I kiss her forehead and then press my lips to hers, backing her against the kitchen counter.

"I must've done a good deed to get someone like you." I whisper against her mouth.

"You're such a cheeseball." She smirks. I pull back to laugh a little before kissing her again.