Chapter 43

It takes us another half an hour to reach Manhattan's Children's Centre. Fortunately the weather has changed and it's cool nowadays, otherwise I'd be sweating like a pig after that long walk.

Looking at the building, I'm suddenly reminded of the day I met Cassandra. It seems like just yesterday that I bumped into her and followed her here.. I look over at her and notice a light smile on her face. She's happy. I know she is. And this fact makes me even more happy.

We enter the building and head towards the reception. The man there, who seems to be in his thirties, greets Cass cheerfully and complains that she's been gone for way too long.

"I know, I'm sorry. My working schedule got hectic and I just had a lot of stuff to handle." She explains.

He waves his hand in dismissal. "No worries! I'm just kidding around with you."

She looks at me and begins with the introduction. "Tyler, this is Jim. And Jim, meet Tyler."

"Hey, man." I offer my hand with a smile.

He gives me a welcoming look and shakes my hand. "Nice to meet you. Cassandra here doesn't ever bring anyone along, you must be someone special."

I glance at her and notice her cheeks taking the slightest shade of red.

"Um.. I'll see you later, Jim." She sheepishly says.

"Alright. Bye both." He goes back to working on some register.

"You're still blushing, you know."

She smacks me lightly. "Shut up."

I chuckle and follow her. We enter a corridor which has rooms on either side. Most of them have their doors closed, and the ones which are open have a couple of kids with some adults who look like teachers.

We cross all these rooms and instead make our way straight through a door into a large room. This one looks like an activity area. It has quite some kids and all sorts of stuff; toys, reading and coloring books, tables and chairs etcetera.

Now I know what Cass meant when she said yellow is a cheery color. The walls are painted yellow here. It's almost as if sunshine is falling on the walls itself; you just have to enter this room to feel light and happy.

Cass makes her way to a group of 5-6 year olds sitting in one of the corners. If you look from afar, you'd think that the kids are huddled together and working on the same thing or sharing a secret or just talking. But as you near them, you'll notice that they're not talking at all. They're actually involved in their own world.

Just before we reach them, she turns around and asks, "Do you know what autism is?"

"I just know the basic; that it's a mental condition in which communication and forming relationships with other people is difficult."

"Alright. Their language usage is also faulted, so don't feel weird if they don't understand what you're saying or are unable to respond to you properly."

"Hey, hey.." I reach out and hold her by the shoulders. "Don't worry. I'll be as gentle and understanding as I can. I promise."

She gives me a small smile. She turns around and slowly sits beside one of the kids. I realize it's the same boy I saw when I followed her here that day.

"Hey, Alex.." Cassandra coos.

He doesn't look up, but continues to draw. More like scribble.

"That's a very pretty drawing. Did you make it?"

He stops for a second, as if to talk. But then goes back to his drawing. I wonder if he'll talk at all.

"I bet you made this. You're smart like that."