Chapter 23

This day isn't going so great. Sam didn't come to work, and as much as it kills me to say this, I miss that jackass. He keeps me busy with his blabbering and well, it feels like home when he's around.

Secondly, I didn't get any dream. I know, I know, it's not that big of a deal when you think of it. I mean, it's just a dream, I can't just possibly be upset over them. But I am! I am upset. I have been dreaming of Cassandra since a week now continuously every night, and now all of a sudden it's been two days and I didn't get even a glimpse of her. It doesn't make sense. They've become a part of me. I know, it sounds ridiculous but these dreams make me feel better. I was honestly getting used to them..

My phone rings and I snap out of my trance. I check the caller, it's Cassandra. Just seeing her name light up on my phone screen sends a wave of happiness through me, and I forget all my distress and annoyance.

"Hey, you." I say.

"Hi, Tyler. I hope I'm not disturbing you.."

"No, no!" I quickly say. "I just got free from a meeting, you're not disturbing. Not at all."

"Great, then. I'm calling to tell you that I'm free, I took an early off. So if you're free as well, maybe we could head over to your friend's place?"

"Uh.. Wait.." I quickly check my planner and my schedule. It doesn't seem like I have any work left. Nope. I'm free. I swear, I'm the most chilled out lawyer.
"I'm free. Give me thirty minutes?"

"I'm waiting for you." She says and hangs up.

I freeze in my spot. For a second, my body completely forgets how to function. Her sentence rings in my ear and I feel warm all over. What is it about her that makes me so crazy that even simple phrases make me lose my mind?

I shake my head and leave.

----------

"You seem distracted." Cassandra says. Of course I'm distracted, she's sitting beside me, wearing skinny jeans and a loose, floral shirt and her perfume has successfully diffused in my whole car. It's such an attractive, flowery fragrance that it's making me dizzy. In a good way. In a way that makes you feel enchanted. I think it's lavender, mixed with a hint of jasmine.

"It's nothing, really. I'm just wondering how your first encounter with my friends will be like." I partly lie. I am actually worried.

She laughs. "You're talking as if they're something supernatural."

I smirk and say, "Seems like that sometimes."

"Oh, come on! From what I've gathered about you, you're not a very friendly person. So if you have-" She stops mid sentence and I look at her expectantly, waiting for her to continue.

"You never told me her name.." She sheepishly says and I laugh a little.

"Oh! I'm sorry. It's Suzanna. Sam and Suzanna."

She nods and continues, "So as I was saying, if you have Sam and Suzanna, then that means they must be very close to you and you value them a lot. And that is enough to make me believe that they are nice people and I'm gonna have a great time."

I smile. Again, she's right at her observation. I look at her and gratefully nod. We drive the rest of the way in silence.

---------

The lights have been switched off. It's pitch black in here and we're all hiding in different places. Apparently we'll be giving Zanna a "surprise" when she comes home from a supposed grocery shopping. For all I know, she's probably waiting outside to make an entrance at the right moment.