Chapter 33

"Would you mind your own fucking business and let me be?!"

Tyler peeked from the corner of the hall as his father screamed at his mother.

"Matthew please.. Keep your voice low!" His mother begged.

"Don't tell me what to do!" Matthew threatened his wife. "Don't fucking tell me what to do."

"Baby.." Elaine slowly came close and cupped her husband's cheeks. She stroked them gently, rubbing her thumbs.

"Matthew.." She whispered, her voice full of forgiveness and love. "Please.. Please, please come back.. I need you, Tyler needs you.. He's only six, he needs his father, please baby.."

She steadily tried taking the glass of wine from his hand, wishing that her husband would let her; that he would finally come back to his senses. But it was no use, he was drunk. He was completely intoxicated. No amount of affection could bring back the warmth that Matthew Chase once had.

He angrily threw the glass and pushed his wife away. Elaine collided with the wall as glass shattered on the floor, hundreds of minute shards flying across.

There was madness in Matthew's eyes as he lashed at her, "Don't tell me how to handle myself! Don't you dare tell me that Tyler needs me! I know how to take care of my son!"

Tyler turned around and ran away; escaping the terrible scene with his mother curled up on the floor, weeping miserably. He went to seek refuge in the same place he always did, his safe haven; the store.

He closed the door and sat in the far corner. He closed his eyes and forced the thoughts to go away; just like the voices had disappeared as soon as the door had closed.

"Are you scared too?"

He was startled at the sudden voice and his eyes flew open to reveal a small, six year old boy crouching in the other corner. It took a moment for Tyler to realize that that kid was him; his childhood.

Tyler swallowed and said, "A bit, yeah. You?"

"I'm scared.." He saw the raw fear in the little boy's eyes, his face contorted with terror. It was always his mother that would come in the store and make him feel better. She'd make all the monsters go away with her soothing words and comforting smell, but something told Tyler that she won't come this time. Not in this dream. Something told him that he would have to take care of himself this time, he would have to rely on himself.

So he took a shaky breath and scooted closer to his little self.

"Hey.." He started. "You don't have to be. There's nothing to be afraid of."

He leaned into Tyler and whispered, "But.. I don't know what to do.."

"Look at me." The little boy looked up at Tyler; unknown of the man he would be one day. "You just have to take care of yourself, okay? That's it. Mum and Dad will be fine, they will be. But you, you listen to Mum and obey her, alright?"

He slowly nodded, digesting every word. Tyler continued, "You're gonna do great, bud. You're gonna be okay. I promise."

He ended with a smile and his little self smiled too.

"I'm Tyler." He said.

Tyler extended his hand and said, "You're not gonne believe this, but I'm Tyler as well."

"Really? That is so cool!"

Tyler laughed and said, "It is, yeah."

"I have a question."

"What is it?" Tyler leaned in a bit to listen properly.

"Will I be as good as you?" He asked so innocently that Tyler couldn't help but hug him tight, patting his back lightly.

"I have two good news, bud. You're gonna be very good looking. And two, you're gonna have a lovely girlfriend."

"Really??" His eyes were so wide with excitement and wonder, it reminded Tyler of the missing piece of innocence he lost along the way.

"Do you know her name? The girl who'll be my girlfriend when I grow up?"

His eyes were sparkling with eagerness. Tyler smiled and said, "Yeah. Cassandra. That'll be her name."

"Cool!" His little self was buzzing with excitement, and Tyler was satisfied that at least he wasn't thinking about the fight outside.

"I gotta go now.." Tyler said.

"Can't you wait a bit more?" Young Tyler pleaded.

"I wish I could.."

"How will you go? If you go outside, then Dad will see you.."

"You're gonna help me go."

He frowned and asked, "How?"

"Just look at me and say 'Wake up, Tyler. Wake up.'"

Tyler noticed his young self scrutinizing this statement; thinking if it's a prank.

But then he shrugged and looked Tyler right in the eye. With his soft, childish voice, he said, "Wake up, Tyler. Wake up."