Chapter 16

No wonder my boss is so impressed by me. I have the tendency to work super fast when I'm needed to.

Basically, I got a good scold from Sam when I came to work and then from my boss. I didn't tell them the actual reason for my disappearance, just said that my parents needed me. That reason was satisfactorily enough for boss, but not for Sam. He knows about my relation with my parents, he's been giving me curious looks since the moment I entered. I don't care. I don't have to explain myself to anyone. Besides, I have a lot of work piled up and I'm determined to finish it.

I lean back in my chair and look up at the ceiling. Even though there's tons of work, I don't feel tired. Surprisingly, that dream kind of rejuvenated me. Why is it that these dreams are making me feel better? They're always telling me something important and somehow making sense. Immediately when I woke up I had realized that I can't ignore Cassandra even if I wanted to. All I wanna do is meet her, talk to her.. Thank her..

I smile to myself. I might just take her for a hang out the next time I meet her. Something tells me that we're gonna be great friends. I chuckle and go back to work.

-----------

Just as I'm about to leave, Sam comes in and bombards me with questions.

"Okay, I know it wasn't your parents that needed you. Where were you yesterday? You just disappeared and didn't even answer my calls. Do you have any idea how pissed off boss was? He was gonna explode! He was-"

I shout at him, "Would you shut up and breathe? I did get trashed by him today, alright and I worked my ass off! So just back off and let me live!"

He seems taken aback, but still continues, "I just wanna know where you were. I'm your friend, I'm concerned about you."

"Sam.." I shake my head. "I'm fine, really. I was just stressed so I called up Romana-"

"Romana?! Are you fucking serious? What is wrong with you? You can't just do that what in the world-"

"Stop telling me what to do!" I throw my file on the table angrily. "I know what I did was wrong, but I don't need people reminding me again and again!"

"People? Who else reminded you of your mistake, huh? No one else knows you the way I do."

Should I tell him? Should I tell him that I've been having dreams and the girl in them always guides me and saves me? No.. I can't.. He won't get it. No one would. Hell, even Cassandra herself won't get it if I tell her this shit.

I begin, "Look-"

But he cuts me off by saying, "If your parents-"

"Don't." I shoot him a warning look. "Don't even dare."

We're both looking at each other like there's nothing more we'd like other than to kill each other.

Sam ducks his head and sighs lightly. He looks back at me and his eyes are full of apology. He knows he's crossed the line this time. He takes a deep breath and says, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Tyler."

I feel like I've been stabbed. My throat feels dry and my eyes burn. I turn my head to the right and blink back tears that are threatening to pour out.
I know his apology is genuine, it's visible from his face. My lips form a tight line and I nod, letting him know that it's okay. Without another word, I take off.

-----------

I park my car and enter Starbucks. I'm greeted with a warm atmosphere and the aroma of coffee and buns surrounds me, I already feel a bit better. I order a cappuccino and take a seat on one of the tables in the corner. Drinking my coffee, I scroll through my Facebook feed.

"Tyler!"

I look up and see Cassandra standing. She's wearing jeans and a purple shirt and her hair are straightened today. I had no idea a person could have the power to cheer me up just by their presence, because I swear I'm on cloud nine right now.

"Cassandra, how are you?"

"I'm well. How have you been?" She smiles and my heart nearly stops beating.

"Been okay. Just busy with work and stuff. What's up with you?"

"It's my day off, so I was just out for some shopping. Thought of having coffee."

She says she's out for shopping but I can't see even one bag in her hands. She has her usual tote bag hanging from her shoulders and nothing else.

"I don't see any shopping done."

She rolls her eyes and says, "I have a hard time deciding what to buy and what not to buy. I have literally been roaming around since 3 hours now and I couldn't buy anything. Hey!"

I raise my eyebrows in question and she continues, "This is the first time we're meeting decently and not all over each other."

I stick my tongue out at her and scrunches her nose in response. I quickly say, "Well uh, you can join me in you want.."

Please agree, please, please, please..!

"Are you sure? You seemed like you were having a pretty intimate moment with your phone." She cocks her eyebrow and sticks her tongue out.

I grin and bite my lip. I hate how she makes me feel shy, but God dammit I love it too. I get up and pull out a chair for her, signalling her to take a seat. This makes her blush and she mumbles a "thanks" as she sits down.

"You're quite the gentleman, aren't you? Or is this all an act?"

I fake a heartbreak and she giggles.
"Cassandra Evans, there is a lot you don't know about me."

She licks her lower lip and I have to remind myself to get a grip because my hormones are going crazy. I have never before seen anything more seductive than just 'licking the lower lip'. And she's not even seducing!

"Well.." She has a naughty look on her face as she says, "I do know you're a lawyer."

And with that we both burst out laughing.