Chapter 52

"Yes?"

I just stand there dumbfounded, staring at the woman who's opened the door. She looks to be in her forties with all the wrinkles on her face caused by exhaustion. But her smile is the complete opposite, it's sweet and warm.

"Can I help you?"

Her question brings me back to focus and I realize that I had been staring for a bit too long.

"Yes, um.. Hi.." I clear my throat. "My name is Tyler Chase. You probably don't know me, I mean, if Cassandra hasn't told you about me. Not that I know you, as well."

Her eyebrows raise in question and I sense a bit of uneasiness in her posture.

"I'm Cassandra's boyfriend. You must be her mother or sister, I assume?"

"Cassandra?"

"Yeah. She didn't tell that you'd be coming here.."

Her lips press in a tight smile and her facial expression is somewhat apologetic. "I'm sorry, I think you've got the wrong address. There's no Cassandra here."

"Aww, come on!" I chuckle a bit. This is some prank that she's playing with me. "Did Cass put you up to this? I swear, that sly fox has been driving me crazy since morning."

"Uh.. Okay, I'm very serious. Cassandra doesn't live here."

Ever experienced one of those moments when you've had just enough of everything? This is that moment for me.

"I've had enough." I mumble and push her out of the way, going inside the house.

"Cassandra!" I shout.

"What the hell?! I'm calling the cops!" The woman threatens, but I'm too unbothered to care.

"Cass, please stop! I've had enough! Where are you?"

"You need to leave right now, I swear to God I'm gonna get you arrested!"

I angrily turn towards the woman and just when I'm about to scream at her, I hear crying noises.

"Mommy.." I turn around to find a little boy with a teddy bear clutched in his hands and an older girl, probably a young teenager, standing beside him.

"Mom, what's going on?" She asks.

That's when I look around at my surrounding, at the walls of the lounge and the contents it holds.

The walls aren't beige coloured like the ones that made me feel like home, they're lilac. Pictures of this family cover the walls where photos of Cassandra and I once hung.

I glance at the woman who has her kids huddled up behind her with the phone pressed tightly in her hands.

"Get. Out." Her stance is unwavering and menacing, like she will kill me in the blink of an eye if I bring any harm to her family.

I slowly make my way towards the door. Just when I go out and before she slams the door in my face, I turn around.

"I have one question, please." I beg her.

She is looking at me with disgust, her expression a mixture of terror and anger. But, ever so slowly, her face shows a slight hint of forgiveness.

"What?"

"Did you.. Do you.." I close my eyes as a tear rolls down my cheek. "Do you know who Cassandra is..?"

I open my eyes to see a look of sympathy cross her face.

"I'm Jennifer Robbins." She begins. "I have been living with my husband and children here since almost two years now. The owner before us was a man named, Gregory Hank. I have never heard of Cassandra."