Chapter 35: Burn it Down

Start from the beginning

I moved in between a hen party, making my way towards the back of the club where I knew that it was the place you were less likely to hear the shouts of a loved one. The back of the club was the place where a group youngsters would hide for fear of being caught taking drugs or just plain not being old enough to being in a club.

I danced by myself until all of a sudden, the fire alarms went off inside the club and the whole room turned into chaos. People were running and screaming, getting pushed and shoved around the room, people were looking for the fire exits and they couldn't find them in the darkness.

I could smell the smoke all around me, it was blinding people in the room and making them even more wild.

I felt myslef being pushed backwards and it was only by luck that I didn't fall over. I fell against some bars that had seperated the tables from the dancefloor and tried to climb over the bars, I didn't want to get crushed by the screaming crowd.

I fell over as I came down over the side of the tables and I noted that it was easier to see as I was closer to the ground.

I stood up and used the bars to find my way towards the walls, the room was full of smoke and it was virtually impossible to see through the thick haze. I heard people coughing a spluttering and heard myself doing the same.

The room was boiling as well, I had to let go of the metal bar as the heat burnt my skin as soon as I touched it.

"DAVID! HOLLY!" I coughed and hoped that by some mircale they didn't hear me, hopefully they'd made their way out of the building and weren't inside with me.

The music was still playing so I couldn't hear any response even if I did get one so instead, I felt my way around the room and found the push-door into the unisex bathroooms.

I fell inside and didn't make an attempt to get up and leave, I was beside water and that was the best thing against fire right? Also, I was so tired and I could barely breathe in that room, I needed something to cover my mouth which I did not have.

The sprinklers kicked in inside the bathroom and I felt my skin get cold with the spray of the water, typical me, I go into the bathroom avoiding the fire and when I go in there I get soaked with water!

I sat down on the floor, the air was getting harder to breathe in even in here and it was definately easier to breathe down there. I leant against the bathroom stalls, waiting for the firemen to come and save me because I just couldn't bring myself to get up and fight my way out, I could barely see and breathe in this just felt like the way things were supposed to end.

I closed my eyes, preparing for the room to collapse around me but then something came to my mind "Never give up fighting" .

I shot up from the floor, grabbed some toilet roll and ran out the door, I can't give up fighting! I promised I wouldn't ever and I need to keep on fighting forever! I have a whole life to live and this is just something that I need to fight through.

I placed the toilet roll over my mouth and charged into the darkness, placing one hand out so that I could feel my way around the building.

I ran onto what fet like the dance floor and clasped hold of somebody's hand, taking and running out into the darkness.

They squeezed my hand and dragged me towards the bar of the club, and pushed me over the edge of the bar.

They were strong whoever they were, they managed to get me over, push themselves over and grab my hand to pull me up all before I could even think about it. 

They dragged me into an office of some sort and they found their way through the darkness to a door the led to a beer cellar.

They pushed me into the cellar and slamed the office door shut behind them, taking a moment to catch their breath.

I placed my hands along the walls and felt around for a door or something, they had to get beer in here somehow and they wouldn't bring it all the way through the bar. I found and doorknob but had to use the material on my dress to try and open it.

"ARGH!!!" I yelled as the door wouldn't budge open even a tiny bit. It was locked.

I began kicking just bellow the handle, trying to break the door but even I could tell that my attempts were doing nothing, I just wasn't strong enough now and I doubted that even without breathing in all of that smoke that I would be able to kick the door down.

My eyes hurt, both my hands and I knew my face was covered in soot. I could hardly breathe into the tissue, each breath felt like it was going to be my last but I wouldn't give up. I was never going to give up.

The person that had brought me in here came to life and began kicking the door town too, the only difference was that there's was much stronger.

The ceiling above began crumbling and a whole wooden beam fell down beside the door we'd come in.

We were going to die in here.

I screamed and lunged at the door, kicking and using the whole of my body to fight my way out of here.

Tears fell down my cheeks as realisation hit of what was happening to us, we were going to die and there was nothing that anybody could do to save us.

Some more of the ceiling caved in just beside us, the burning embers were flying around the room.

It looked eerily beautiful and frightening at the same time, the embers were lighting the whole room so that I managed to capture a glance at the terrified face of the man in the room with me.

He wasn't much older than me, a thick head of hair and a worn looking face. He had a perfectly chiseled cheek structure that any surgeon would get paid millions to give and his eyes glisened with raw emotion.

A large book shelf fell down, nearly trapping me and the man beneath it as another piece of seiling fell through the roof, one more and we would be gone for sure.

I bounced backwards, away from the falling debriee and clung onto the mans arms, afraid of the fire and hoping that he would protect me. My skin felt fragile and weak, the temperature of the flames around me hurt even though I hadn't even touched them.

The man didn't seem to care either, he continued to kick the door but nothing was working, it was a strong wooden door the seemed to be re-inforced.

The flames were making their way through the room, burning all of the sheets with ease and setting the wooden furniture on fire. It was difficult to see anything further than a metre away from me and I the air was getting so hot that it felt the same as a hot oven.

The man kicked the door one final time and it gave way to his final blow, we were free.

He yanked my arm out into the cold air and I fell to the ground spluttering and coughing, he had to pull me away from the building before it collapsed.

We fell to the ground in the staff car park behind a group of cars and I felt a huge wave of relief as I realised that we'd gotten out, we were alive.

"Thank you." I huffed, coughing and taking in deep breaths of the smoke filled air.

"I couldn't have done it without you." he said, closing his eyes to rest.

"What's your name?" I asked, I wanted to be able to thank him properly.

"Hunter." he said.

"Thank you hunter." I said and closed my eyes, tired of everything.