Every Memory

----------------
"I will never regret you or say I wish I'd never met you. Because once upon a time you were exactly what I needed"

~Bob Marley
----------------

----------------
V I C T O R I A
----------------

I stood in the corner, observing the bustling activity around me. Laughter, chatter, and the clinking of glasses filled the air as guests mingled. Dominic was engrossed in conversation with some visitors, but Marco was conspicuously absent.

With a sigh, I swirled the amber liquid in my glass, finding a momentary distraction in its mesmerizing motion. However, my reverie was shattered when I spotted Dominic across the room, accompanied by a girl on his arm. A pang of sadness washed over me, though I knew I had no right to feel this way.

Feeling a lump form in my throat, I hastily downed the contents of my glass, hoping to numb the ache in my chest. The burning sensation mirrored the turmoil within me. I couldn't stay here any longer; the air felt suffocating, and I longed for escape. Grabbing my purse, I made my way to the door, desperate for the freedom outside.

I had barely taken a few steps when his voice sliced through the air, freezing me in place.

"Victoria, where are you going?"

Inhaling deeply, I turned to meet his gaze.

"It's getting late, Nic, so I'm heading out," I replied, mustering a smile. But his response was unexpected as he shook his head and clasped my hand tightly in his.

"You're not going anywhere, càra."

"And... and... and..."

"And what, Nic?"

"I want you to sing."

"Nic! What are you saying? I can't."

"I know you can, Victoria. Please, just one song," he pleaded, his eyes imploring.

I hesitated, feeling a rush of nerves and uncertainty. Singing in front of a crowd was not something I was comfortable with, especially not now, with my emotions swirling inside me like a tempest.

"But... Nic, I don't know..." I stammered, trying to find an excuse.

"Please, Victoria. For me?" His voice softened, his gaze searching mine with a mixture of hope and desperation.

"It's my day, can't you do this much for me?" he pleaded, sighing dramatically and giving me the puppy eyes he knew I couldn't resist. And then, the pout – his most dangerous weapon.

"Ugh! My innocent, fragile heart," I tried to resist the urge to give in. "Don't look at me with those eyes, Nic. Stop."

"Then say yes," he persisted, his gaze intensifying. Then, with an innocent blink, he repeated, "Say yes, Victoria, please Say yes."

"Okay, okay, stop," I sighed, knowing I couldn't refuse him. "Now stop looking at me like this."

And finally, a full-blown smile graced his beautiful lips, captivating me once again. In a daze, I followed as he took my hand and led me toward the couch.

"Wait here, Victoria. I'll be back in a minute with my guitar," he instructed.

"Okay," I replied softly, feeling the weight of everyone's eyes on me as I settled onto the couch. With a deep breath, I tried to calm my wildly beating heart.

True to his word, Nic returned with his guitar, placing it gently in my hands before settling beside the girl he had been with earlier. She leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulder, and he wrapped his arm around her waist protectively.

I closed my eyes, letting my fingers brush lightly against the guitar strings. With a deep breath, I hummed along with the melody before finally starting to sing:

You've got a hold of me,
Don't even know your power.
I stand a hundred feet,
But I fall when I'm around ya.

Memories flooded my mind, and I closed my eyes, remembering the pain of the moment when Dominic first broke my heart, the ache I once felt.

Show me an open door,
Then you go and slam it on me.
I can't take anymore,
I'm saying, baby..."
Please have mercy on me,
Take it easy on my heart

Memories, each one a sharp pang in my heart. I recalled that cold night when he took me to an event And completely forgotten about my presence.

Please have mercy on me
Take it easy on my heart
Even though you don't mean to hurt me
You keep tearing me apart
Would you please have mercy on me
I'm a puppet on your strings
And even though you got good intentions
I need you to set me free
Would you please have mercy, mercy on my heart?

Then, another memory surfaced, one that cut even deeper. The moment Dominic confessed his love for another girl pierced through me like a dagger.

I'd drive through the night
Just to be near you, baby
Heart open, testify
Tell me that I'm not crazy

As memories of heartbreak flooded my mind, I couldn't help but remember the pain of watching Dominic leave me at the prom to be with the girl he loved. That night I cried. I cried for falling for a man who would never love me back.

I'm not asking for a lot
Just that you're honest with me
My pride is all I got
I'm saying, baby

Raising my head, I saw Dominic kissing the girl in his arms, and a fresh wave of tears welled up in my eyes. It was a painful reminder of the love I could never have, a bittersweet moment that tore at my heartstrings.

Please have mercy on me
Take it easy on my heart
Even though you don't mean to hurt me
You keep tearing me apart
Would you please have mercy on me
I'm a puppet on your strings
And even though you got good intentions
I need you to set me free
Would you please have mercy, mercy on my heart?

I recalled every single moment in which I cried for him, the moments I thought he was almost mine, every memory when he left me behind, every cry for the pain, the loss, the old, the new.

Please have mercy on me
Take it easy on my heart
Would you please have mercy, mercy on my heart?

Brushing away the tears, I vowed to myself that this would be the last time I allowed myself to cry over him.

Rising from the couch, I scanned the room and noticed Dominic and the girl had vanished. With a bittersweet smile, I left his penthouse, leaving the guitar resting gently on the couch.

----------------
End of the chapter
Thank you for reading
Like comments and share
----------------