Chapter 24 "Unexpected"

Start from the beginning

I dont know how to describe what I was feeling. It was mixed with everything. But mostly just guilt. Tears started to flow.

So I ran to her as fast as I can and when I arrived behind her, I fall on my knees. I know she knows I'm there but she doesnt make any move. I just hugged her from behind. I put my head on her shoulder. I dont know why I'm crying so much.

It was just pure silence. Only my crying was heard. She ignores me like I wasnt there. It hurt me even more.

I guess she's not going to talk first. "Abbie... I'm so sorry." I whisper still my head on her shoulders and my arms more tightly wrapped.

"No you're not" she says neutrally and broke my embrace by standing up. She still faces away from me. She barely looks at me through her shoulders. She was going to say something but she doesnt say it and just faces away

I can feel her anger. "I am sorry. It was Kyle's faul-"

I stopped when starts to cross the road. This was as I expected. She's not going to listen.

"Abbie! Please listen!" I yell but she doesnt stop. I follow her. "Abbie.." i kept calling her but she ignores. She parked her car just a small distance from our home. There was no way of me seeing this car earlier. She parked it in a dark part and i didnt bother looking at this part coz she told me she'd be gone after 5mins if Im late.

While she reaches for her car keys in her pocket.

"How long have you been here?" I ask calming my sobs.

She answers but not much. "Long enough." She says dryly still looking for her car keys.

"You said you'd leave if I'm 5 minutes late" i say lowly.

She found her keys and opened her car door but didnt go in yet.

She looks at her shoulder. "You're not the only one that could break promises." Her voice remaining neutral and its more scarier than shouting or yelling.

I was speechless. She reaches for something in the passenger seat. It was a colorful box.

She throws it hard beside me on the cement. I didnt have time to look at it coz she started to go inside the car.

"Abbie please." I beg her holding her door open when she attempted to close it.

She turns her hear to face me but keeps her eyes away from me. I finally see her face. It was blank. No trace of anger or sadness. Just blank. It was more than those combined. She was beyond angry or sad or disappointed. My tears even flowed more heavily upon seeing that.

"I didnt text you or call you coz I didnt want to remind you of tonight. That you might get irritated. And You know... I didnt break my promise." She begins. Her voice still plain. "I did leave after 5minutes have passed but... I went back just a few minutes after coz I know to myself you were doing that gig and it was important. I know I could forgive you what ever the reason was. Well thats what I thought..."

Again, I'm speechless.

"So I waited idiotically for you until 8." She laughs and shook her head.. " You didnt text me so I figured you might be busy. Well I was right... you and Kyle were busy." She says now hearing hurt in her plain voice before. She saw our kiss. Well Kyle's kiss. I didnt kiss him back.

"I can ex-"

"Don't." She stops me. "I thought I could handle what ever reason you were about to tell to me and I was ready to forgive you... but seeing you with Kyle? Its just.... just... and he.." She groans and hits her steering wheel with her palms. "Never mind.... I even thought we were gonna have a perfect night together."

I thoughts so too. I feel sa defeated and I just want to hate Kyle forever because of this. She attempts to close her door but I stop it again. I still wanted to know something.

"Why did you stay after that?" I ask lowly.

She looks at me with her questioning eyes. "I wanted to knock and maybe just give you that stupid box and forgive you and act like everything is fine...... but I cant. So I just sat there thinking about what to do." She says calmly. Her voice sounding defeated also. Is there something more than a friend in her pain?

"Please forgive me." I beg again. But she looks away.

"Let go of my door." she says and attempts to close it but I refused. I dont want us to be left like this. "Take your fucking hands off of my car!" She commands firmly and loudly. It looks like she just unleashed the anger she'd been holding back. I was shocked. So I let go and took steps back.

She quickly closed the door and drove away. I was left there standing beside the ruined box she threw.

I look at it and gasped. More guilt came crawling in me. Its was a dozen of doughnuts from that place we were talking about. It was thrown all over the cement. I cried even more.

I saw a piece of tissue and something was written. I pick it up and read it.

"For my bestfriend,

You're three hours late retard. Choke on these. Lol. But I forgive you. Dont do it again or I'll kill you.

P.s. I ate a few coz they were calling me."

My heart just broke. She must've wrote it before she sat down on the pavement.

I took the tissue and went inside the house.

I wasnt crying anymore as I fall on my bed. Maybe I was drained with tears. I was just staring plainly at the ceiling.

My phone vibrates and I recieved a text.

Pleasr be from Abbie. Please be from Abbie. I pray repeatedly as I reach for my phone with my eyes closed.

I read it.

Kyle: I dont know if I should be angry or sorry for earlier. I'm sorry that I made that stupid joke. I'm sorry okay? But I hope you realize something. You werent answering any of my calls or text so i did that. Refusing to kiss me is one thing, not saying 'I love you' is one thing, forgetting our date a couple of days ago is one thing.... but forgetting our first month anniv? Thats different..

Summer, I'm starting to doubt if you really like me. Why am I your boyfriend Summer? Why are you like this to me?!

I thought I've reached the maximum of guilt that I could possibly feel but I was wrong.

Its May 21 and yes. It is our 1st month anniversary. He's been telling me that he has something planned for it a month ago. I forgot again. And i treated him like trash earlier.

I'm so useless. I could just die.

I thought I had no more tears to cry but I cry anyway. Now feeling more pain and guilt.

What do I do?