Stalkers, Secrets and Lies - chapter 29

Copyright © 2011 Kirsty Moseley

Chapter 29 

I looked down at Lia, curled in my lap, a small sad smile on her face that was masking the panic and fear that I could see in her eyes. I stroked her face lightly, wiping away her tears.

“Are you ok? Did he hurt you?” I asked. My eyes flicked to Ben again, just to make sure he was dead. If I could bring him back to life, I would do it in a heartbeat – just so I could kill him again, but make him suffer more this time.

She sniffed loudly, her arms tightening around my neck. “I’m ok.”

I shifted my hand and stroked her stomach lightly.

She smiled, “Baby’s ok too,” she whispered, putting her hand on top of mine.

I felt relief wash over my body that they were both now safe. The stalker who had been threatening her was dead, the sick ass of a brother that dared to touch her, was dead. She was finally safe. I could hear Johnny talking to Andrew on the phone and seconds later he burst through the door, a shocked, pale expression on his face.

His eyes fell on Ben and then came back to me, “Ethan, what the…..”

“That’s Johnny’s stalker. He’s also Lia’s brother,” I stated, emotionlessly.

Andrew dropped to his knees, next to Ben and felt his neck for a pulse before he gulped and looked at me, eyes wider than they were when he first came in. “He’s dead,” he whispered.

I nodded, “Yeah. Can you call the police? Also, call Trent, I’ll need someone from the legal department to come with me when I make my statement.” I shifted Lia on my lap gently, turning her face away as she started to stare at Ben’s lifeless body on the floor. It wasn’t good for her to do that, I didn’t want her to think bad of me and for this to be what she sees when she looks at me from now on. “Get an ambulance too, Johnny’s taken a blow to the head so he’ll need to go to the hospital and I think Lia’s in shock. The new day guard is in the kitchen, I don’t know what’s wrong with him.”

Andrew nodded and stood up, looking between the three of us and Ben before he turned and walked into the hallway to make the calls. I looked back at Johnny, was he really prepared to lie for me? Why would he do that? I knew he loved Lia, but with me out of the picture then he was free to make his move on her again. If he got himself clean then he would probably even be good for her and the baby, well, that’s if he could stay clean that is.

Johnny looked pale as he sat back against the sofa, his eyes closed, blood drying in his blonde hair. “Are you ok, Johnny?” I asked. Hopefully he would be ok, the fact that he was moving and talking was a good sign that it was nothing more serious than a concussion.  

He nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine.” He opened his eyes and looked at Lia, a burning passion and a lot of hurt showing across his face. “Ali….. he was talking about what I think he was talking about, right?” he asked her. His face looked both devastated and disgusted at the same time, but most of all it was pity that stretched across his features.