24th Chapter: Double Agents

"I always remember those times where I would take you to whatever race-car track I was practicing at after you got out of school. You use to enjoy those times so much where I would take you on a spin in my car. That was until you started High School."

"I also remember on how you would always find a way to prank us. Especially your mother since she would always get so mad at it and that just made you smile more, her running after you while you just laughed."

"Or the times you would climb up the counters late at night to try and get to the cookie jar. And even though I caught you every single night doing it...you never stopped doing it, just shows how much you don't give up."

Susan hears Sam's words as her eyes slowly begin to open, her eyes lightly squinting as the sun seeps in through the opened blinds, the TV playing in the room.

She slowly turns her head to look over to the left, seeing Max being laid in a hospital bed with a tube in her mouth connecting to a machine, needles being inside of her as well, Sam's hand holding hers while he talks, him being seated in a chair next to her bed.

"Sam?" She softly questions.

Sam quickly turns to look at Susan. "Susan!" He quickly goes over to her.

"Max? Is that Max?" Susan begins to panic.

"Calm down please baby." Sam says, him going to pull up the chair to sit next to her.

"What's wrong what happened?" Susan looks over at Max.

"She's...she's on life support right now. She was...she was shot twice." Sam says.

"No." Susan shakes her head, her beginning to cry. "No no."

"She's alive, her heart is beating dearest." Sam says, him taking her hand and going to kiss it. "We just have to.....pull her in reality sort of speak, share happy memories."

Susan lays her head back on the pillow, her closing her eyes as she releases a little sob. "No. Why?"

"I know." Sam cries. "Dearest you....why? You pushed me out of the way."

"I couldn't loose you again Sam." Susan shakes her head, her head turning to look at him while it is still laid on the pillow. "I already saw you get stabbed in the arm, then they hurt you in front of me, then they take you god knows where. It was to much, I couldn't watch you get hurt again. It was my turn."

"No it's never your turn." Sam begins to cry harder, him holding her hand tightly with his hands. "It's never your turn."

"I'm sorry." Susan cries. "I couldn't...deal with that feeling again Sam."

"I almost lost you! I...."

Susan puts her hands on the back of his head when he lays his head down on her chest, him beginning to sob out loudly, her going to bring him in closer, going to kiss the top of his head. "I'm sorry, I am sorry." She cries, her scratching softly in his hair while she looks over at Max, her feeling herself beginning to cry harder.

Sam slowly closes his eyes while he cries, his forehead being leaned against her chest, his hands being on her sides. "Please help me, I don't know what to do." He cries.

Susan hugs his head more. "I'm here, we'll get through this together Sam."

Sam slowly nods his head, him going to turn his head to the side and lean his head on her chest, his eyes slowly closing as she scratches through his hair.

They both look towards the door when it opens, a doctor making his way inside. "Hello there Susan! How are you feeling?"

"Like I just got stabbed." She replies.