Chapter 4: Just...Lonely.

Start from the beginning

"You know I can't see if you nodded or shake your head right?"

I had forgotten. It was a habit for me since I did not talk a lot. My father even complained when I only moved my head to give him an answer. Mark was... different, I should make an effort.

"Sorry, I-I... um, yeah uh... no it's okay." What was that?

"Hm, I'm not sure to understand."

"I'm okay; we don't need to change the subject." Oh, what I did there uh? I will make a fool of myself. I paused before continuing, "I don't have a lot or friends now. We have lost contact after high school and I absolutely regret it. It's too late now. We're not the same people we used to be." I lowered my tone as I start to feel a little emotional.

"It's sad. High school friends are precious. I still see mines and I don't know what I would have become without them."

My eyes became watery as I agreed to his words. I suddenly felt so sad and lonely. Good thing he could not notice my tears flowing down my cheeks. I tried to make no crying noise, but my nose betrayed me when I sniffled loudly.

Mark lifted his head slowly like he sensed something. "Oh, are you... crying?"

I hurried to take my things and wiped away my tears with my hand, "I'm okay." I saw Jackson. I needed to vanish from this place right away. I stood up and glanced at Mark one last time, "I'll go now. Jackson is coming now. Bye."

"Melanie..." I heard him pronounced my name in a concern tone. I just had to go.

***

Mark's pov

No more words of Melanie. She left me here leaving an ounce of her sweet scent in the air. Guilt took me; I had made her cry? Why would I talk about my friends like that in front of her? She must think I'm an insensitive guy. Babo!(idiot!) Like JB would say. Then, I heard Jackson's voice...

"I just saw Melanie, what happened? Her eyes were full of tears she kept wiping them away. You made her cry?"

So, she was really crying... I felt sorry.

After Melanie disappearance, Jackson just babbled to me but my mind was somewhere else. She cried because of me right?

"Hey! Hello? Why don't you answer me?" I heard him scream next to me.

"Huh? Oh, sorry what did you say?"

"I know you're blind, but are you starting to be deaf too? What's wrong? You're thinking about her?"

"I don't know. I think she's feeling lonely."

"Lonely? In which sense though?"

"We were talking about our high school friends, how she lost contact with them and now she doesn't have a lot. And, when I mentioned mines, I think that's when she started to cry."

"For real? Ohhh..."

"I noticed she's been with us since yesterday. If she had friends, she would be with them or talk about them, no?"

"I guess, but that's not the problem. We can be her friends! I don't mind having a friend like her. She looks like Beyoncé!"

"Like Beyoncé? Are you for real now?" Knowing how Jackson boasted about her, how she's so popular and so pretty I wish I could see how Melanie looked like.

Do you know what was great about being blind? There was no race and it was a blessing. That means I didn't know from beauty. I knew people from what it came out of their mouth and what was in their heart. That was how I knew people and I thought it was much better like this.