Part 53: Iris

"Why have you all been so tense?" Avah asked when Reagan left the kitchen to use the restroom.

          We all sat at the table, keeping our gazes down. We spent a small amount of time trying to decide when to tell Reagan about the witch, and we decided we would wait for the perfect time, and it hasn't been yet.

          Now it's time to tell out Alphas, and I don't know where to even begin.

          Rose took a deep breath. "When we went to see the witch... she told us things." she started. I could hear her voice wavering.

          Death. Death was coming for Reagan, and we didn't know how or when. Makes it really hard to prevent if we don't know those basic fucking things. I can't protect my mate, and I hate it.

          Lennox narrowed her eyes on us. "What kind of things?"

          I've never been happier that Reagan didn't have heightened hearing. "She said death was coming for Reagan. And that Reagan would be the reason for it." Ivy answered for us.

          They both froze in place. The news seems to be just as shocking for them as it was for us. However, there was some anger in our reactions.

          Avah ran her hands over her face. "Fuck me. Did she say anything else?" Avah asked, panicked.

          We shook our heads. "She only told us that. She withheld all other information." Hazel said angrily. "She did, however, whisper something to Reagan, but we couldn't hear. She made it so we couldn't hear, and Reagan hasn't told us what she said."

          Lennox grit her teeth. "Why do witches have to be so fucking infuriating?!" she growled.

          "There's one more thing," I said, shamed. "My teeth shifted when she told us. I was so angry that my canines came through. That's never happened before."

          Avah looked at me, confused. "What do you mean your canines came out?"

           I shrugged. "I was in mid-shift, I guess. Her information pissed me off so bad. All I wanted to do was rip her throat out, and next thing I knew, my eyes were glowing, and my teeth were sharp." I explained the best way I could.

          "Remind me to have a nice little conversation with a friendly witch next time we are in the city," Lennox growled to Avah.

          "What does her warning mean?" Ivy asked, scared.

          Avah and Lennox shook their heads, confused. "We don't know, and sadly, I don't even think Karina or Celia will know either."

         "Well, can you figure it out?" I asked, pissed off that they didn't even have a sliver of reassurance for us.

          "You know we will. We care for Reagan, too, you know. We will do everything in our power to protect her, just as we have with you." Avah said softly.

          "This is all going to be okay, Iris. we promise." Lennox tried to comfort me, but it wasn't working.

          "You can't promise that when there's a murderous psycho trying to find ways to steal or kill my mates," I grumbled.

          "I can when I know for a fact that we can stop him. I just... I can't know for sure when that will be." Lennox said sadly.

          I know this hurts them as much as it hurts us. We are a pack. We are their responsibility, and I know they feel like they are failing us. I don't blame them. I'm just scared.