Part 39: Rose

Ivy, Hazel, Iris, and I sat on the couch watching Reagan, who was sitting on the couch opposite us, hugging her knees to her chest.

          Our Alphas were standing at the kitchen entrance, watching the entire thing. Im sure our Elders would be here to watch and wait to see things either go to shit or go really well, but Celia took Karina out, saying they needed to talk away from us.

          There's a lot of tension surrounding them, and it all started when this situation with Reagan started. I'm unsure how our issues fell upon them, but I'm honestly too scared to ask. Celia has been testy lately, and Karina has been no better.

          Reagan wasn't making eye contact. She kept her eyes on the coffee table. Her eyes scanned over the titles of the books Karina took out to read while she was down here.

          When she came downstairs, we thought we were going to have to go and hide upstairs, but no. While eating dinner, Reagan remained in the kitchen. She just didn't sit with us. She stood at the island counter and ate, not bothering to look at us or speak. She didn't even speak to our Elders and Alphas, who were also in the kitchen.

          It was strange, honestly. She spent the past week punishing us. She was torturing us with her runs with our Alphas, and we accepted it because we deserved it. So her just coming downstairs like normal is a little offputting. It's almost like she's planning something bigger.

          I figured when we all made our way into the living room that when we all sat down, she would just yell at us, but no, it's been completely silent.

Her eyes were bloodshot. Her face was swollen from crying.

          It was painful to see, but it was even more painful having to hide away while she was in pain. I wanted nothing more than to go and comfort her, tell her I was sorry, and beg for her forgiveness, but we had ordered. Celia would have had our asses if we tried.

          Reagan darted her tongue out, wetting her lips. She looked at us and then quickly looked back down at the coffee table.

          "I don't hate you all," she said quietly, her voice cracking and raw. Crying every night for almost a week would do that.

          Her statement had us letting out a relieved sigh, but the air around us was still tense. While she may not hate us, she for sure as fuck doesn't love us. And even if she was close to admitting it, we fucked that up.

          Iris cracked a tiny smile. "We're more relieved to know that than you may know," she said carefully.

          "I'm not finished," she said with a sigh. We waited patiently for her to continue. What else could be said? I imagine a lot, actually. "I don't hate you all, but... I don't trust you anymore," she said, finally looking at us.

          She doesn't trust us anymore? Does that mean that, at one point, she did? She made it seem like she didn't. She was always really hesitant toward us. Even though we've all had sex, she still moved around us like it would all crumble.

          We nodded our heads in understanding.

          "That's understandable. We... we can work to earn it back." I said, keeping eye contact with her.

          She bit her bottom lip and took a deep breath. "I've been thinking... this little time away from you all; it's been what I needed."

          My heart dropped. What is she about to tell us?

          She gulped. We were all on the edge of the couch, waiting.

          "What else about your world do I need to know about?" She said, staring us down. Her gaze was not wavering.