Part 22: Hazel

"Did I say something to offend the Alpha's and Elders?" Reagan asked, walking into our bedroom.

          After eating, we spent the rest of the day just hanging around the house. I could tell something was off with Reagan, but I knew if we asked, she wouldn't be honest. That whole debacle with Celia and Karina spooked Reagan. I don't know what that was about, but they will handle it. They always do.

          "No, you didn't say anything wrong. This is all just a big... change for us." I answered honestly.

          None of us knew we would be able to mate, and even if we did, the thought of a human being the key to that would have never crossed our minds. I mean, why would it? We share no biological similarities.

          We can only come up with Reagan mating with us because she might have lycan ancestors. Somewhere in her lineage, there were once werewolves. Where it died out, I have no idea.

          Reagan wouldn't make eye contact with any of us.

          We all looked at each other and then back at her with worried expressions. Fuck did I say the wrong thing?

          Reagan clenched her jaw. "Okay, yeah, I get that, I guess," she said, stripping out of her clothes and heading toward the bed. She wasn't shy about it at all.

          We stood there watching to see if she wanted us in the bed with her or on the floor. I would very much like to be in bed with her, but we would all respect her if she told us no.

          "I don't understand why the universe sent me to you all. I offer you nothing." She said, lying on the pillow and looking away from us.

          My heart ached for her. I don't like this. I don't like that I can't make it better. Make her feel better.

          "Why do you feel like you have to offer us anything?" Iris asked. We were still standing. Still unsure about what to do.

          If we had to stand here all night and watch her, we would with no complaints.

          Reagan shifted on the bed, hugging herself. "I feel useless if I don't." she let out a nervous chuckle. "Am I just supposed to sit and let you all take care of me and not feel bad about it?"

          "Yes," Rose said easily. "You are ours to take care of. We don't care about having to take care of you. We actually love it." Rose sounds very sure of her response.

          Reagan moved her head to the side, looking at us. "I've spent my entire life taking care of myself. Trying to be okay with someone taking care of me is hard. You can gather that letting four women take care of me is even harder." She pursued her lips.

          I hummed. "My old pack, before they abandoned me, tried to kill me. At least that's what Karina said. I don't remember much about them. They tried to drown me. I never had a fear of water, even though I should have, but I am cautious of it. I didn't understand why I was still cautious of it when I don't even remember them trying to drown me."

           Reagan frowned at me. "I'm sorry that happened to you, truly. That's horrible. But I don't understand why you're telling me this."

          I shifted on each foot. Rose, Iris, and Ivy hovered behind me.

          "There is always cautious behavior for almost everything in life. For some things, there are specific reasons for it, and for others, it is just anxiety and overthinking. Your fear of having us taking care of you without you having to repay us shouldn't exist. You were dealt a shitty hand in life, and you were sent to us to fix that. We are here for you, Reagan. Always. You deserve us. You deserve someone to take care of you." I said, keeping eye contact with her.