Chapter 40-And The Tree Fell

Start from the beginning

Izuku voiced his concerns, "Hang on, if you do that, you can't come back."

Dante turned around and pointed at them, saying, "Why do you think I'm going? Someone needs to keep an eye on your old man," as Vergil continued walking forward.

Nero protested, "You can't expect us to stay here while you both go a-"

Dante interrupted, "It's because you're here that we can go. We're trusting you guys with things on this side. Capisce?" He asked, placing his hand on Nero's shoulder before nodding at izuku.

"Make haste, Dante," Vergil urged, and Dante nodded, following his brother.

"Hey, wait!" Izuku yelled, and both he and Nero ran to stop Dante and Vergil. However, they were abruptly backhanded by the two brothers, sending them flying back and crashing onto the ground.

Dante smiled, taking one last look at his successors before bidding them farewell.

"Take care, Nero, and you too, Izuku. Adiós!" He waved to them as he jumped off the Qliphoth, transforming into his Sin Devil Trigger and flying down to the underworld.

Vergil stayed, looking at his children as he took out his old poetry book.

"I won't lose next time. Hold on to that until then," he said to the boys, throwing Nero his poetry book before looking at Izuku.

Vergil dug around in his pocket and found a broken piece of the Yamato. He smirked, tossing it over to Izuku.

"Since it will not return to me, maybe it will go to you. Happy birthday, Izuku," Vergil said as the shard went into izuku's blade which suprised them.

Just as Vergil was about to jump off, Izuku called out to him, stopping him.

"Dad!" He said, freezing Vergil, as it was the first time he heard those words from his son.

He turned back to see a fist flying at his face. Izuku punched him off the Qliphoth, yelling at him.

"That's for taking my eyes, you douche nozzle!" He yelled with emotion as Vergil couldn't help but smile at his son before turning into his Sin Devil Trigger and flying down to the underworld.

Nero ran up to Izuku as he picked up the book on his way, looking down at the underworld.

"Idiots," he remarked at Dante and Vergil, who had left as izuku nodded.

"You wanted to hug him, didn't you?" Nero teased as Izuku blushed for a second before shrugging.

"Maybe, but that was so much better," Izuku said as he looked around at the battlefield.

"Let's get out of here," he said, and Nero nodded.

Both devil hunters transformed into their devil triggers. Nero flew off first, followed by Izuku. Before leaving, Izuku glanced at the only surviving piece of furniture in the entire city, which was still atop the Qliphoth. He shrugged and followed Nero.

Later-
10 to 20 minutes later, Izuku and Nero were in Nico's van as she drove them out of the city. Nero was engrossed in Vergil's poetry book, while Izuku sat on a plastic chair, idly playing with baby versions of Vergil's nightmares.

Izuku stood up, leaving the familiars to play with themselves, and headed into the van's kitchen to make coffee for the three of them.

Nico couldn't handle the silence any longer and decided to break it.

"Ho-wee! I'm still in shock," Nico said, catching Nero's attention while he kept his eyes on the book.

"About what?" Nero asked.