Chapter 104 - Alliance

"It is a dragon that chose our father as its guardian." Faust's jaw dropped to the floor when he heard what it was.

A dragon?

His spine shivered and his insides churned as he processed the revelation. He was expecting that his father would, at least, be some sort of powerful mage and was storing his magic here in the underground room but a dragon...?

"I know. I was surprised, too, when I first knew about it."

"H-How..."

"There is a separate class I attended as the Crown Prince from our regular studies back when we were young. There, I was taught about the dragon living under the palace who provides us with all the things we need." The second prince couldn't form any word for a few seconds.

"Why... Why didn't you tell me...?" He asked when he was finally able to speak and digest the fact that his father owned a dragon.

"You never asked," Finley playfully responded and then proceeded to smack Faust's back lightly and turned away from his brother. "He will be here in a few minutes. Follow and sit beside me." He gulped his saliva and looked once more at the dragon.

A dragon...

It was a colossal magic sphere that was almost twice as big as the palace.

Maybe that was the reason for the seemingly unending stairs that took him so long to reach below. The king had to make room for the enormous dragon that was living underneath their palace.

"Have you seen the dragon? I mean, its true form?" Faust asked as he walked beside Finley. They started climbing the stairs to their designated seats.

"No. I haven't. Father said he saw it once but never again. It had always been like this. The previous emperors also took care of this sphere and saw the dragon's true form at least once in their lifetime," the Crown Prince explained and Faust was once more, amazed at the revelations pouring down.

But when he realized it, he felt quite sad.

Finley had known his entire life that a dragon was lurking underneath their place but Faust didn't. Ever since they were young, it was always Finley who got the crowd's attention while he was the spare.

When something happens to Finley, he is to take his place but considering the empire takes great care of his brother, Faust doubts there would be anything that happens to his brother.

'God forbid,' he closed his eyes and asked for forgiveness for his thoughts because it was unjust and evil.

Nevertheless, Faust enjoys his time as the second prince. He might not be as important as the first prince but he was also cared for by his father. They were loved equally but Finley was more of a priority because of his standing as the Crown Prince.

When they reached their seats, Faust sat beside the table where Finley did and he looked down below.

The stage below faced them directly where he was guessing the emperor, his father, would be sitting on Finley's other side which was opposite to the door where they came from.

He looked around and once more was in awe at the interior. It helped that the magic sphere containing a supposed dragon was emitting an aura that eased his body and calmed his mind.

Then it hit him.

'Pier has a dragon, too, right?' He thought as he looked over at Finley who had his eyes closed in an attempt to nap until the others arrived.

"Fin?" He called.

"What?"

"Tell me, is the dragon above watching over our empire for a long time now?" Finley opened his eyes and looked at the magic sphere as well. He tilted his head to the side before nodding.