Chapter 68 - Goodbye (4)

Silence ensued the two young men as they observed the scene before them.

Many people were working and the streets were starting to be beautifully decorated. Many ornaments hung around and shops were being raised on the side of the roads. Everyone was a busybody especially now that tomorrow would be the day of the Taron Kingdom's Annual Banquet.

It was late.

Many months have passed since the usual date of the banquet's upholding but they never really minded any of it. They were much more excited by the thought of celebrating the banquet rather than feeling sorrowful about its delay.

Of course, the people were thankful.

They have faced the greatest challenge that occurred in the kingdom's history. When the war ensued between the two enormous empires that towered the continent, everyone was on their feet because, at any given point, they knew they could be possibly invaded – and it came true.

Taron was invaded by the enemy empire and the damage done was so severe that millions lost their lives in the great war. Yet they were still thankful.

Everyone was thankful that the kingdom wasn't completely destroyed and obliterated. All of the citizens were grateful that they survived the catastrophic event that had befallen the territory.

Many months had also passed now since the flames of the war had died down.

The Kingdom was getting back on its knees and was starting to be refurbished into its initial glory.

They worked for months on end without stopping just to rebuild their territory and here they were, preparing for the celebration of the Annual Banquet that signified Taron's reemergence from the dust.

"Your people sure are optimistic," Silas commented with a nonchalant look as observed everyone. The Crown Prince enthusiastically nodded his head and smiled at the young king. "Mhm. I'm glad I can see them smile again."

"You're an optimistic one, too."

"I am. I should be the symbol of it or else they would drown in sorrow."

Silas gave no response at that specific statement and he simply continued viewing everything from beneath them as they were currently overseeing the capital from the throne room.

However, Asher seemed persistent in continuing the conversation.

"Why? Aren't you an optimistic person yourself, Silas?"

The young king turned to look at the Crown Prince and saw that Asher had an expectant look on his face as if he was waiting for a response from the man.

"Ever since I saw you, being optimistic became the new definition of dread."

Asher awkwardly scratched his cheek at the remark and he looked outside to avoid being further embarrassed by the statement. "I know I did a lot of things-"

"Don't even talk to me like that, Lumiere. We aren't friends."

Asher paused for a second after being interrupted before nodding his head and chuckling.

Who was he even kidding? Was he in the position to tell this man all of his sentiments about things?

Silas had seen the worst side of him and anyone would despise him as well if they were in the young king's shoes. He was immature, selfish, and inconsiderate.

Asher did many things that greatly displeased the white-haired king and despite standing side by side right now, there was still a gap between them.

A gap that surpassed the distance between the earth and the sky.