Chapter 23: Waking Up to Reality

Start from the beginning

"Shall I choose a film for us to watch today?" I asked, trying to distract her from the pain. Me and David had all showed our pain, crying to each other but my mother hadn't, she remained strong for us.

She blinked and replied "Yeah, sure. But nothing too sad, I don't want to watch something that's gonna make me cry." 

I laughed and went into the living room, we didn't have that many DVD's but the ones that we had were all watched and re-watched so choosing something that we hadn't seen in ages was difficult.

I decided to put in the 'Twilight Saga' DVD, we had enough time today to watch the whole saga. I'd been given the whole box set from my 'best friend' only to find out she'd given it to me as a joke to see if I liked something that a child liked apparently.

Sucked for her because I liked it and so did many other people at our school.

My mother came into the sitting room, carrying a plate full of pancakes and I went out into the kitchen to get the rest of the feast. When I came back into the living room my she had put out a couple of blankets on the sofa and was snuggling down into them, sat in her slippers and dressing gown.

I loved this day.

I snuggled down beside my mum, snuggling up to her. We began watching the film.

We managed to watch the first three films before I dropped off to sleep.

I hadn't even realised my eyes were closing, the darkness enclosed my eyes. 

I seemed to like the darkness, it was comforting me.

"Candice...Candice...Candice..."

"What?" I snapped and swatted the hand away that was shaking my shoulder.

"Sorry, I just wanted to inform you of our arrival." Malik said, pulling the car to a stop in the middle of some woodland.

It was Friday evening, we'd left late because Malik couldn't go out in the sunlight and there was no garage at the house in the hills.

I blinked several times, I hated the feeling of dreams that seemed so real but ended up being a fantasy. I'd wanted to be back at home so much, dreaming of the time when me and my mum watched DVD's all day whilst my older brother worked. That had been a nice, girlie day that I treasured for as long as I lived.

"Oh..ermm...okay." I said and unbelted the seat belt. I stretched in my seat and got out of the side of the car door.

The air was cold on my skin, it tore through me with its icy winds and enslaved me with its howling sounds. The space around the car terrified me, I couldn't see more then ten feet in front of where the lights on the car shone, I could only hear the russling off the trees and the smashing of the branches hitting into each other.

I never really had been scared of storms and hurricanes but I all of a sudden had an urge to run over to Malik, let him look after me. After all, I did trust him with my life.

"Candice, you might wanna come inside so that you can get warmed up. These winds are way to strong and cold to stay outside during the evening time." Malik said from around the other side of the car, fumbling to find the right key from the set that he held in his hands.

I shivered over to him, wraping my arms around my chest, trying to preserve some body heat. When I finally got to the door, it was open and Malik was inside lighting the fire.

I found a light switch on the wall and was suprised at the home that I was standing in. 

I was in a living room, it had wooden flooring and dark red wallpaper on the walls with a dark wooden triming. There were leather loveseats with a dark wooden coffee table in the centre of the room as well a rug made of animal skin. There was a huge, floor length curtain that trailed from the ceiling to the floor. There were pictures everywhere, some were portraits, others were extrememly old photographs. The newest one was a picture of me and Malik on our wedding day and it was above the fireplace that Malik was trying to light a fire in.