The Heir of Salazar Slytherin

HAPPY UPDATE DAY!

It's been far too long, friends. This summer has been an exhausting and hot one, and I wish I could say things have gotten better for me since last I wrote, but they have remained more-or-less the same. But I'm trudging along and know the difficulties I'm going through will eventually pass. I'm looking forward to the heat going away. I actually recently got a mild case of heat exhaustion, and I am not a fan. but I'm on the mend now.

I'm still here, still committed to writing Penny, just a little slower these days. But I won't abandoned this story. I want to say thank you to all the readers who have stuck with me, and all your beautiful words. They really cheer me up and bring so much joy to my day. I'm sorry if I haven't responded to you. These days I'm lacking in the energy, and it's either writing or responding, and I feel like you all deserve chapters for your patience. But I do intend to find time this weekend to write to you. But just know, I read what you send me, and your words matter to me.

WARNING: Murder in this chapter. This chapter is a rough one, but I added something at the end so you all know, Penny will make it through this!

******

It was with great difficulty that Penny picked at the dozens of amazing smelling morsels laid out before her. Between still feeling sick after watching Rufus Scrimgeour be murdered and her worry for Harry, it was nearly impossible to have an appetite, even as hungover as she was.

To no surprise to Penny, Snape did not follow Penny to the kitchens, and when she finally gave up trying to force feed herself, the servant girl, Miranda, and several of her giggling friends arrived to escort her back to her chambers and dress her for the evenings too, Snape was noticeably absent. Grumbling quietly to herself, Penny begrudged him for it, she dearly wanted a rematch after their earlier exchange.

But it was probably a mercy he'd made himself scarce. Spending time in his company was unexpectedly disorientating, and the ease with which they gravitated back to each other, problematic for what Penny knew was the inevitable outcome of the entire debacle. She could not let her silly heart be fooled into trusting him again.

In Snape's room, which was now apparently Penny's, the girls showed her an array of dresses to choose from. Needless to say, the thought of getting dressed up like a doll for whatever horror show was planned for her birthday did not appeal to Penny in the least.

Taking her non-committal grunts as permission to choose for her, they began debating. No one could deny they were better suited for the task, seeing as they seemed to disagree with Penny's assertion that it did not matter what she wore, and felt the choice would somehow forever affect her life for eternity.

Several minutes later, they settled on a satin, emerald green, floor length number. Looking at the thing, Penny had to admit it was a pretty choice, and she could not help but appreciate that it had a much more modest neckline than she'd become accustomed to wearing at the Malfoy Manor.

Penny's fingers glided along the ruching detail at her hip before turning it around, only to realize what the dress didn't expose in cleavage, it made up ten-fold in lack of fabric at the back.

Grimacing at the thought of how many Death Eaters would use it as an excuse to touch the small of her back, Penny resigned herself to the inevitability of misery this night would bring, and let her mind wander back to Harry as she strained her ears in an attempt to try and catch the first indication of the Dark Lord's return.

Hair loosely crimped, and makeup minimal, Penny stood before her reflection wondering if this would be how she looked when she received word of her brother's demise.

Harry Potter, her own blood and chosen one to vanquish the Dark Lord. He was Gryffindor re-incarnate, and she, Penny Potter, stood looking like the emblem of Slytherin; the mark of the very monster Harry was trying to defeat emblazoned on her chest, and she, existing to entertain that monster's whims.