His Good Name

WARNING: LANGUAGE AND SOME SEXUAL HARASSMENT

*****

 "Have some tea," the toad-like face smiled, pushing the pristine floral cup toward Penny as well as a tray of sugar cubes.

"Thanks, Professor," Penny smiled weakly, glancing nervously down at the steaming dark liquid before her. She'd have to be insane to accept anything the old hag offered her, but she could not let Umbridge see her reluctance.

"I am pleased to see you've recovered so well. As one of our most important assets, we were very worried that the spattergroit might leave you— well, less useful," Umbridge said, in that awful sing-song voice of hers. The words enraged Penny, made her want to throw the tea in her face. The audacity of the woman to treat Penny as though she were some commodity that belonged to the Ministry—but Penny could not let those thoughts get the best of her because the bulbous eyes were watching her, searching for any indication Penny might be willful, resistant to help her.

So Penny swallowed her pride, widened her doe eyes, and pretended to be attentive. "Madam Pomfrey really is a spectacular healer, she took such wonderful care of me," came from Penny's mouth, words she never imagined she would say about the crazy woman who always seemed too eager to keep Penny as her captive in the boring Hospital Wing.

"Yes, she has done quite well, I have advised the Minister she should remain once we—" Umbridge said, taking a sip of her tea and stopping with a little laugh. "Look at me, saying too much."

"I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't ask, but everyone has been talking, Professor, what with your inspections, but does the Ministry intend to replace—"

"I'm not permitted to say, but things are changing at Hogwarts, but that's not anything for you to worry about, my sweet," Umbridge said, reaching her fat-fingered hand across the table to squeeze Penny's in what she must have assumed was an affectionate gesture, but Penny only felt revulsion so intensely that she nearly yanked her hand away. By some miracle she stopped herself before it was too late and nodded like Aunt Petunia had always told her to do. Don't talk back to your Uncle you ungrateful—we have fed you, kept you—you will do as you're told and keep silent about it, or else you'll regret it.

Penny learned early in her life that the threats were not idle, Aunt Petunia didn't bluff. On bright summer days the scars on Penny's legs sometimes caught the light at just the right angle to still be visible, an eternal reminder of what happens to those who question her Uncle. Umbridge was like her Aunt and Uncle, she wanted Penny's obedience and Penny was afraid to find out what she would do to obtain it.

"Let's put those nasty thoughts out of our minds, shall we? I've asked you here because I have some happy news."
"Oh?" Penny said, her stomach doing an odd backflip, knowing anything Umbridge would call 'happy news' would most likely be very unhappy for her.

"It seems our efforts utilizing your unique gifts are proving fruitful. Yalxey informs me he has made some marvelous breakthroughs!" Umbridge said, clapping her hands together in enthusiastic approval.

Penny could feel every ounce of blood drain from her face, feel it make its slow retreat from the vessels in her face, to return to her heart as though in preparation for the instincts pressing against every one of Penny's nerves. The prickling in her fingers and toes was her fight or flight response, Penny unsure which one was winning, unsure what her body would compel her to do, but sure her stony features betrayed the change plainly to Umbridge whose thin lips tightened ever so slightly.

"You'll forgive me, Professor, but I was under Yaxley's watch when the MACUSA—" Penny said, stiffly, but Umbridge cut her off.

"A horrible ordeal, I'm sure. But you are wrongly attributing such awful actions to the wrong person."