Chapter 162: Making Moves

🎶 Lady - Hear Me Tonight — Modjo 🎶

My parents had arrived on Friday evening in Nice and I had driven to the airport to pick them up, but not calculated that my tiny car wasn't built for the transport of people and their luggages. Oli and Mum were stuck in the back seats each with their trolley on their laps and Dad was sitting next to me with his head bent as he was too tall.

Thankfully, they had booked a hotel near the port instead of staying at my place and I drove them there. Since it was already late, we decided to just have dinner there and then I got back to my apartment.

On Saturday morning I had invited them over for breakfast and I think this was the first time I was actually using plates and cutlery for more than one person. It wasn't a huge flat, but the firm paid for it and for just me it was more than enough. My Mum was amazed by the view - as the building was a bit more in the back of the country and sitting higher, I had a nice view over the sea and the Country Club. Mum immediately wanted to start doing my laundry and some ironing, but I managed to shoo them all out and we walked through the streets to my office building, which they also were interested to see.

We then went to a Larvotto beach for lunch and stayed there the whole afternoon, as it was already very warm now in those first days of June.

📍 Neptune Monaco Beach
Tagged: mary.wright98
beabea.wright Some father-daughter time while visiting Mary in Monaco 🇲🇨

oli_wright_one_and_only ❤️❤️
mary.wright98 Ohhh it turned out sweet 🥹
landonorris Can we have a pic with the Mum too? 😇
Replying to landonorris:
mary.wright98 Since when are you following my Mum?!?!?!?!
andferrari007 👍🏼

Around 6, we packed up our stuff and they left for their hotel and I for my apartment to get ready for dinner. We agreed that we would meet directly at the restaurant and I had more or less one hour left now to get dressed. The weekend was actually going great and our dynamic felt like it was before Charles came into my life. He had become a part of my family so quickly and I rarely spent time alone with them when I was with him, as he was usually visiting anyways or I was away at races in my free time.

My parents had already arrived at Graziella and while I walked past some tables, my mouth started watering - Marta had picked a great place. I sat down with my family and the waiter brought our menus soon enough and we ordered. Suddenly, Oli and Dad who were sitting across Mum and me started tensing up and I turned around to see why. Shit. All of the Leclercs including Lorenzo and Arthur's girlfriends had just entered the place and were being shown to a table. My instinct kicked in and I disappeared under the table, but forgot that my family was there and we were inevitably recognised as they walked past our table.

"Erm... hey" I heard Charles say and my parents and Oli replied a simple  "Hey" in unison.
I tried to resurface from under the table to not make an even greater fool out of myself and with my luck, I hit my head on the edge.
"OUCH - ah... Hi... Erm - napkin fell down... erm wanted to... erm pick it up" I stammered and sent them a nervous smile.
"Nice to see you Mary" Lorenzo said and smiled. "This is my girlfriend Charlotte by the way" he added and the girl stretched out her hand and said "Pleasure to meet you!"
"Hi, how do you do" I replied and smiled.
"Good and you?" she answered and I chuckled. This was so common, non Brits always thought this was a question, when really it was just an expression and an answer is not expected. I was about to speak up and say something to not be rude, but I heard Charles speak first.
"You don't reply to 'How do you do' - it's a British thing" he said and laughed.
The same memory I just had, had apparently also gone through his mind.

*** Flashback ***

We were at William and Claire's engagement party and I would greet people with "How do you do" to which they would also reply with "How do you do".
"But it makes no sense, why would you not answer a question?" Charles asked me as he always replied with how he was actually doing.
"It's just a phrase, I'm sure you have stuff like this also in French" I chuckled.
"No, we aren't weird" he replied and wrinkled his nose.
"It's a British thing then" I laughed and gave him a sweet kiss on the cheek.

*** End of Flashback ***

"Anyways, enjoy your dinner" Arthur said and started going to their table with Carla who sent me a small wave. They were followed by Lorenzo and Charlotte, but Pascale stopped and said to me: "Whenever you need a haircut, you know who to call - I've heard you went to Sandrine's but - I have better prices."
I laughed and she sent me a wink as she walked away.
Charles was left standing here awkwardly and he mumbled "Erm... Enjoy your dinner - I miss your food my the way Mrs Wright" before disappearing.

We tried to continue our evening without commenting on this encounter, but my gaze often shifted to the back where the Leclercs were sitting. Their table was often roaring with laughter and they looked like such a happy family, even though they were surely missing Hervé in moments like these.

After we had finished, we went outside and I said goodbye to my parents as they had come by foot and I was here with my 500, which I had parked across the street. I started it, but there were hundreds of lights blinking and it just wouldn't go on. I tried a few times more but it wasn't working. Suddenly, I heard a knock on my window, which startled me.

"Got a problem?" Charles asked as I had gotten out of my car.
"Change your fucking car" I said with my British accent, imitating Christian Horner. We both erupted in laughter.
"Sorry, I couldn't resist. Anyways, well, it just won't start" I sighed.
"Let me try" he said and took my keys.
"It's not like you have a magic touch and it will work if you turn the key" I said annoyedly.
And surprise, it didn't work even with him trying.
"Ok, don't worry, I can call a breakdown truck and ride with him to a mechanic I know. I'll just call you a taxi" he said and started tapping around wildly on his phone.
"And what happens to my car?!" I asked.
"I know the mechanic, I'll find out what the problem is and text you, he'll get it done in a few days" he replied and smiled. "Unless you want to call the truck and talk to a fat French guy, who will speak in a horrible southern accent and then find a repair shop that is open on Saturday at midnight?"
"Ugh fine. But instead of a taxi I could borrow your Pista?" I said and wiggled with my eyebrows.
"Surely not, by the way, I came by foot so I don't even have it - I'm calling a taxi" he replied and put his phone to his ear.

Third Person POV

Team Leclerc 🫡

Lorenzo Tolotta-Leclerc
In a rare occurrence, Arthur had a strike of genius
He cut a cable on Mary's car and guess who was there to be her knight in shining armour 🤩
He's bringing her car to the mechanic now and is taking care of it 🫶🏼

Riccardo Beretta
No way
You guys are unbelievable 😍

Marta Molino
Poor Mary 😬