Chapter 77: Birthday 2.0

🎶 Lights - Single Version — Ellie Goulding 🎶

On Sunday, I woke up from the rays of sunlight hitting my face and sensed that I was being watched.
"Why are you staring?" I chuckled with my eyes still closed.
"Because you are so beautiful" Charles whispered.
I opened my eyes to give him a look, but the next thing that caught my attention was the bouquet of red roses on his nightstand. I eyed them and said nothing, just leaning towards him to give him a kiss.
"It's too early for me to count them, you have to tell me how many they are" I whined jokingly.
Charles chuckled and answered: "77"
My eyes widened.
"You are my soulmate" Charles stated and leaned in to give me another kiss.

"Hungry?" he asked me when he leaned back.
I nodded and he smiled, saying "I'll order something, we can have it by the pool and go for a last swim before leaving."
Gosh, how could this man be real and be so perfect?
I swung my legs out of bed and went to the bathroom to get ready and put a swimsuit on. On my way out I noticed one of Charles' shirts laying on the couch and put it on before joining him outside by the pool.

"Thanks for this amazing birthday weekend" I said while we were enjoying our meal.
"You got the tickets for the game" he chuckled, pointing his fork at me.
"Yes, and you got the jet, the five-star hotel and the Chelsea after party" I stated.
"Ok, we're even" he answered.
I threw him an 'Are you serious?' glance to which he answered by blowing me a kiss over the table.

We went for a last swim together, but started getting ready soon after to drive to the airport. The flight back was quick and comfortable and we landed in London around 5pm. Charles had organized a pick-up from the airport which drove us straight to my parents' house.
"We're back!" I shouted when we had come in the door, but were greeted with silence.
"Didn't they say they would have dinner with us?" Charles asked.
"They did?" I stated confusedly.
"Let's check outside, maybe they are starting the barbecue?" Charles asked.
I nodded and we started walking towards the garden door and when I opened it I heard people shouting: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!"

I looked around and saw a bunch of my closest friends, my parents and Oli standing there. My eyes welled up and I felt Charles' arm around my shoulder. I side-hugged him back, burying my head in his neck. Then, I went to my parents and hugged them, as well as Oli, who gave me four pinches, for the four Grand Prixs I went to and did not take him with me, as he explained. Then I wandered around, getting a clearer picture of who was here. Obviously Val and Christian, George and Carmen, Lando, William and Claire, my friend from Oxford Annie and Pippa, my cousin whom I had not seen in ages, as well as Alex and his girlfriend Lily. In the back, I also found some of my classmates from Oxford, at least those who were living in London now, who Val had contacted to have a small reunion.

It was the perfect evening and I was so grateful for everyone in my life. It wasn't a big circle, but it was enough for me having those few, really close friends.
At some point, I managed to find Charles alone for a moment and snaked my arms around him from behind. "Thank you so much" I whispered.
He turned around and put his arms around my neck, saying: "It was mostly Val, but I'll also take some credit."
"When are you leaving?" I asked.
"I'll take you to work tomorrow and go to the airport after" he replied.
"Two and a half weeks until France" I mumbled.
"Actually, I wanted to ask you slash have to ask you: The weekend before France, Ferrari is hosting its first fashion show in Maranello and obviously I have to attend and the PR people want me to bring you but I said that I have to ask you first, since you prefer to stay out of the spotlight, so what do you think?" he asked, hoping for a positive answer.
"Oh wow, I did not know they did fashion too, but I'll tell you tomorrow after I check my calendar at work and stuff, I think Val is trying on her wedding dress and I have appointments for my wedding outfit, but I'll see what I can do" I reassured him and squeezed his hands.
"It will be horrendous for you taste" he chuckled "but I understand, just let me know."

📍 London, Englandmary

📍 London, England
mary.wright.98 Best surprise ever ❤️

val.the.great You could have cropped me out
Replying to val.the.great:
chris.greeeeen You look great darling ❤️
oli_wright_one_and_only Looooool 🤡

A few hours later, everyone had gone and we brought the leftovers and decorations inside, even though my parents told me not to do anything. Oli had persuaded Charles to play a round of F1 on the PlayStation and apparently he was winning, which resulted in joyous exultations coming from the living room. Charles was shouting something in French and it was probably some swearing, but I had already gathered information from George, Lando and Alex that he wasn't the best in that game.

At some point, I managed to drag him upstairs with me, since he wanted one revenge after the other, but he just kept losing. Oli was roaring with laughter and already texting all his uni friends about his success.

"If you play against me, you will probably win, don't worry" I said, trying to improve his mood, but it didn't really help. Thankfully, he was back to his happy self just a few minutes later when we laid down in bed together and cuddled each other to sleep.

The next morning was pure stress, because Charles had somehow managed to unpack his whole suitcase yesterday evening instead of just leaving it packed for this morning, which resulted in him not finding the right shirt ('I need the white one for my outfit, Mary') and his toothbrush. In all the hectic, I spilled some tea on my dress and had to rush back upstairs to get changed, but all in all, Charles managed to drop me off at the Shard at 8.15 and continued for the airport.

After replying to the most urgent e-mails I checked my calendar and my to-do list for the next few weeks, which I had quite neglected with all my traveling. Val was indeed trying on her wedding dress that weekend that Charles had asked me to join him at the fashion show and I wanted to squeeze in the appointments with my seamstress and the milliner for my wedding outfit on that same day. I thought a lot about the fashion show and being photographed so publicly, up until now, we had just showed up a few times in the Paddock together, and ultimately I decided to text Charles:

Mary ❤️
Checked my calendar and really can't make it for that weekend 11-13th. But if a hot guy in a Ferrari has the time to pick me up and drive me back I can take a flight to Bologna Sunday morning and fly back in the evening, let me know! Xxxxx