Chapter 92: The best friend

🎶 Good Without — Mimi Webb 🎶

After seeing Max, Oli and I made our way back to Ferrari hospitality where we found my parents chatting with Andrea.
"Charles should be out soon, then we can all go back to the hotel, pack up and drive" Andrea said and smiled.
In that moment Charles arrived with the trophy in his hand and we all went to the Paddock exit, talking about the events of the day.
My boyfriend put his arm around me and we got into his car together while the others rode in a shuttle with some Ferrari people.

When we were seated he handed me his trophy and I flashed a million dollar smile when I got to hold it.
"I can feel the rush even just from holding this" I chuckled.
"Oh great, I don't have to gift you expensive bracelets anymore, I can just give you my trophies" Charles laughed.
"You never need to gift me expensive bracelets, the most precious thing you can give me is your time, since you have so little" I said and put my hand on his. He took it and gave it a kiss.

At the hotel, we packed up everything quickly and we drove back together to London while my family was driving back with dad's car. Charles was staying overnight as he was too tired to travel back to Monaco now. It was already past midnight when we got into bed, completely knackered. We both scrolled through Instagram for a few minutes before giving in to our tiredness.

📍 Silverstone Circuitcharles_leclerc Incredibly close today, I gave absolutely everything to win today, but lost out in the last two laps

charles_leclerc Incredibly close today, I gave absolutely everything to win today, but lost out in the last two laps. Thankful anyways to have brought home a trophy in a country that I have become very fond of. 🇬🇧❤️
The biggest victory today though was to see Max safe after that big crash.
Now onto Hungary 🇭🇺

scuderiaferrari Bravo Charles! 👏🏼👏🏼
arthur_leclerc Ok but 🇲🇨>🇬🇧
maxverstappen1 Thanks mate and congrats

scuderiaferrari Bravo Charles! 👏🏼👏🏼arthur_leclerc Ok but 🇲🇨>🇬🇧maxverstappen1 Thanks mate and congrats

📍 Silverstone Circuit
Tagged: mary.wright98
oli_wright_one_and_only Sometimes I like her

henryjohnson Ahhhhh so jealous mate!! Hope you had a blast!
charles_leclerc Always I love her
Replying to charles_leclerc:
mary.wright98 Awwww 🥺🥺 Your grammar though...
oli_wright_one_and_only 🤮🤢

As every Monday, my alarm clock rang at 6am sharp and I rolled over to make it stop. Charles was already up, scrolling through his phone when he noticed that I was awake. He leaned into me and wanted to kiss me but I quickly turned my cheek to him.
"Ew, I have disgusting morning breath" I laughed.
"Even your morning breath smells like heaven" Charles said, but also laughed as soon as the words left his mouth. He then added: "Ok, I have to show you something and I don't want you to get upset..."
I nodded and looked at him with a questioning face, then he unlocked his phone and gave it to me.

"I nodded and looked at him with a questioning face, then he unlocked his phone and gave it to me

Tagged: chris.greeeeen
val.the.great Can't wait to start forever with you 😍💍👰🏼

chris.greeeen I love u ❤️
taniajenkins You guys 🥺🥺🥺

I looked at the screen with a blank expression.
"It's too early for this shit" I just said, stood up and locked myself in the bathroom. I hopped under the shower, turned it as hot as possible and stood under the water until I thought that my skin would start burning.
After getting out, I wrapped myself in a towel and opened the door, where I almost bumped into my boyfriend.
"Don't lock me out from your mind" Charles said calmly and put a hand on my cheek.
"Guys please I don't need to witness any kinky bathroom stuff of you" Oli whined when he came out of his room.
I took this as a cue to storm back into my room, ready to raid my closet quickly for a work outfit.
"MARY!" I heard my boyfriend coming in after me. "Talk to me."
"I CAN'T!! Because I don't know what to feel!!! Is it resentment because she did not believe her best friend? Is it disappointment because she threw away our friendship that was already established in kindergarten? Is it pity because she is still believing and marrying that liar? Is it anger towards myself because I apparently didn't know my friend well enough?" I shouted, on the verge of tears.
My boyfriend looked at me sadly.
"Do you think Riccardo or Joris or any of your best friends would ever pull shit like that on you?! She has been my best friend for years and now I don't even know if we will ever speak again" I added.
Charles came over to me and hugged me tightly.
"I don't know what to do, I can't even be here for you since I have to leave today, but just know that you are always on my mind" he whispered. "I really think you should call her, or else you won't find the answer..."
I nodded into his sweater and wrapped my arms around him even tighter. We stood there for a few more minutes when I felt his grip loosen up.

"I'd love to stay like this forever, but you have to get to work..." he said and kissed my temple. "But don't worry, I'll catch up the time you lost with my Ferrari."
His attempt to lighten the mood worked, and I managed to pull a smile.
And he was right - even though we left the house fifteen minutes too late, he somehow miraculously made me arrive only five minutes late by driving over almost-red lights and getting probably at least three speeding tickets.

"I'll try and call her today." I sighed while we were saying goodbye. "How can you be so chill about her? After what she thought of you?"
"She's still your best friend and I don't want you to lose that" he said and shrugged. "Please call me tonight and let me know how it went..."
I nodded and gave him one last goodbye kiss.
"I'll see you in Hungary" I said and got out of the car.
"Mmhh, bring that dress you wore last year on our date there!" he answered.
"It wasn't a date!! You said it was a dinner between friends" I chuckled.
"Whatever, I was in love with you then and still am now, so bring that dress and I'll take you out again" he replied before driving off.