Chapter 15: End of the journey

🎶 I Lived — OneRepublic 🎶

The next week, Val and I took our road trip through Sweden and Norway, we had to skip lots of parts though because of our restricted time.

In the evenings I usually sent a few pictures of my day and a short summary of what I had experienced to Charles. He had gone back home to Monaco to see his family before the next race in Silverstone at the beginning of August.

Unfortunately, the last few days of mine and Val's trip have come around and we decided to spend them on the island of Paros in Greece. We did not want to go to Mykonos or Santorini, since it's always extremely packed, so we settled on a smaller island.

We booked an amazing hotel which not only had a pool, but also a private beach and offered a shuttle service to the town center.

In these past days I have not heard from Charles but he must be busy preparing his Silverstone race, I hope he finally experiences a bit more luck!

And on July 31st Val and I concluded our journey and landed back home in Heathrow. The airport was the usual mess but we were happy that after a mere hour of waiting our suitcases arrived. While Val took the tube back to the city, I took the train to head to our summer house in Cornwall. My brother and his friends, my mum and my dad would all be there.

 My brother and his friends, my mum and my dad would all be there

📍 Paros, Greece
mary.wright98 Goodbye Greece, goodbye Europe, now back to Salcombe for a week! 🌊

beabea.wright Can't wait to have you back home darling!
taniajenkins Finally, I could not stand to see your holiday pics from my office!

From the train I called my dad and asked him if he would be able to pick me up at the train station in a few hours. He was happy to hear from me again and said he would be delighted to do so.

I was so happy when I saw my dad waiting on the platform. I was such a daddy's girl! I do get along very well with my mum but with my dad it was always different. We always had a special bond and when I used to be a kid him and I used to go on all kinds of adventures while my mum pampered my little brother at home.

When we were in the car dad informed me: "We are having a big barbecue on Sunday with neighbors and friends to watch the Silverstone GP! Your mom told me that you went to two F1 races this summer! That's incredible!"
I did not want my dad or my brother to know about my friendship with Charles because it would be too weird to tell them "Oh yes, I had a one-night-stand with Charles Leclerc, but then I accused him of sexual harassment because of a misunderstanding but we cleared that up and are friends now but I think I might have a crush on him." No. Definitely not. Too much information for the men in my family.
So I just said: "Yes, we were extremely lucky that Val's new boyfriend has a brother working in F1 who was able to get us some tickets!"

Upon my arrival my mother had prepared a fantastic fish for each one of us. My brother and some of his friends were there and I finally met Oli's summer fling/girlfriend Liza, who was actually quite nice, even though she must be crazy to date someone like my brother.

Alex, my brother's friend had also come back down from London again and he was very jealous of my Formula 1 experiences this month.

"So, Scotland is in a week, who's excited?" my mum asked. Shit. I totally forgot about it. My head was so wrapped around my July travels that I completely forgot.
Since I was 18 and my brother 16 we have a tradition to go up to Scotland at our grandparents' cottage in the Highlands. My brother and me both bring our friends and are allowed to stay there without any parental supervision for a week. We never took advantage of this and tried to leave the house in the best conditions possible to be able to come back the next year.

"Yes! Liza, Alex, John, Henry and James are coming from my side, who are you taking Mary?" my brother asked.
"Ehm I really have not thought about it but I will let you know!"

After dinner I went up to my room and called my friends from uni, Tania, Charlotte and Anne but they all unfortunately are working and cannot take some time off on such short notice. My last hope were Val and Christian, even if that meant that I had to third-wheel for a week but my dreams were shattered when Val told me they were going to Ibiza that week for their first proper couple holiday.
"But I know someone who has August off and might have time to visit the only one he thinks about" she joked over the phone.
"Val, you can't be serious. I can't invite a guy alone to the holidays I'm taking with my brother and his friends. They all love F1 and will think we are dating! Besides, I haven't heard from him and he currently has a GP to attend."
"That's still better than going alone. And that is perfect, just call him Sunday night! If there is something to celebrate he will say yes and if he is disappointed because of his result just lure him there with alcohol. Or send a picture of your grandparents' 'cottage', that will also change his mind, trust me. Worst case he will already have plans but I doubt it that he would not seize this opportunity."
"Which opportunity?" I asked confused.
"Oh you know, him giving you his jacket when you are cold on a walk, sleeping under the same roof as you, seeing you all day etc."
"Yes, sure, is he also going to propose on this trip you think?" I asked her sarcastically.
"Just ask him and tell me how it went! I have to go now, byeeeee" and with that she was gone. I sighed. But she was right, what have I got to lose?