Chapter 87: Damage control

🎶 Some Say — Nea 🎶

When I saw Charles, I dropped my suitcase and ran over to him to engulf him in a tight hug. It felt so good to feel his warmth and know that everything was alright between us. George and Carmen also embraced each other and I turned to George saying: "Thanks for coming, Val said some pretty nasty stuff to her too."
"Ah, don't worry, I know she said it in the heat of the moment. Plus, it wasn't me who she has known for years, but you, so I will be just fine." Carmen reassured me.

"How did it get so complicated?" I sighed and we all slumped down on the sofas.
"I feel so guilty, I should have just stayed away" Charles said putting his head in his hands.
"You did the right thing" Oli said.
"Yeah, and look where it got me. British Airways had to seclude us in Business Class because there were girls shouting insults at me in the plane. My PR teams are furious, there are brands threatening to end their sponsorships if this thing doesn't get cleared up soon." he said in a bitter tone.
"Sorry, I feel guilty too for dragging you into this mess" I said and caressed his cheek.

"What did your team propose in terms of damage control?" George asked.
"The usual. Staging paparazzi pics of us being in love, deny the rumours, put out a statement and so on" Charles sighed. "I don't think the people would buy it, it would just fuel the hate on Mary for staying with a cheater. My PR representatives are flying out here tonight and we will think of something."
"Can't we just ignore it and then it will go away in a few days?" I asked.
"In a normal situation with a minor rumour you usually do that, but this has blown out of proportion, especially with Charles being threatened." George stated.
We were all silent, each of us alone with his thoughts, trying to come up with something.
But then it hit me, for heaven's sake, I'm a lawyer.

"Michael" I mumbled.
"Who the hell is Michael?" Oli asked, trying to remain in the conversation.
"My trainee colleague from work. The partner he works for, he's done a lot of defamation trials against the press for the royals. He is incredibly discreet and really good, he settles outside of court so nothing ever comes out, he's tight-lipped and ice cold. I'll try and get an appointment for us and your PR people tomorrow morning. It was the press who started it, it will be the press who ends it." I stated firmly and took my phone out of my purse to dial Michael's number.
"Are you ok with that?" I asked my boyfriend.
"You're such a cool lawyer" he said and finally, a smile appeared on his face again.

Thankfully Michael picked right up.
"Mary, are you ok? I read the articles..."
"I'm not ok, but all you need to know is that the articles are not true. I need an appointment with Mr Collins as soon as possible tomorrow morning. You can say that the client is Charles Leclerc and the Scuderia Ferrari. Please Michael, we really need him..." I was sounding a bit too desperate for the serious lawyer I wanted to be.
"Ok ok slow down, I'll try to call him and tell him it's an emergency, I'll see what I can do and get back to you."
"Thank you so much Michael, I owe you a big one."
"Wait, does that mean that we'll see Charles Leclerc tomorrow at the office?" Michael asked excitedly.
"MICHAEL!" I barked, but had to stifle a laughter.
"Fine, fine, I'll get back to you in a minute hopefully. And for your sake I hope that Mr Collins won't kill me for disturbing him on Sunday evening." he added in a serious tone.

"WHERE IS HE?" My dad came suddenly barging through the door and ready to jump on Charles.
Oli threw himself between the two.
"Dad, dad, dad, wait, nothing is true, it's just a huge mess." Oli tried to explain. My father was standing just a few feet away from my boyfriend, his head as red as a Ferrari car and you could almost see the steam coming out from his ears.
"Mum, dad, just sit down" I said and started explaining everything to them.
"Poor Val" my mum sighed when I had finished.
"That's a huge mess, sorry for jumping to conclusions Charles" my dad said and stood up to hug him. "Mary is clever, she'll guide you well through this" he added.

Just on cue, Michael called me.
"Tomorrow at 8 in the morning in Conference Room 3. You owe me three lunch deals at Prêt and a really big favour." he chuckled.
I sighed in relief.
"Thank you so much. I'll also give you a signed Ferrari cap." I replied.
"Sick. Thanks for bringing me my first client by the way, that means a nice bonus at the end of the year!" he exclaimed.
"How wonderful it is to be a lawyer. Making money on other people's miseries" I chuckled and hung up after thanking him again.

"We'll be going now. Let us know what happens tomorrow. And if we can help in any way, just call. We're more than happy to be photographed with you on a double date if it helps your publicity." George said and hugged me.
"Thanks so much and sorry again, Carmen, to drag you into this mess" I sighed.
"Ah, don't worry, after this long year of studying I missed having some drama in my life" she chuckled and hugged me tightly.

Eventually, Charles and I made our way to my room and I put out my clothes for tomorrow.
"Please ask Oli to borrow you a suit for tomorrow, we have to be on top of our game for Mr Collins to pick up our case" I said.
"What? He can still decline us? Even if we pay him?" Charles asked.
"Of course, he's the best of the best, he only takes on cases he knows he can win, otherwise he wouldn't be the best anymore if he started losing suddenly. And believe me, he has enough rich clients, he won't be impressed by your money." I explained.
Charles nodded and went outside to ask Oli about a suit.

The next morning I woke up and saw the alarm clock signaling the time 4.37. I looked down and saw that I had fallen asleep in yesterday's clothes. I looked to my right and saw Charles fast asleep next to me. I knew there was no going back to sleep for me and decided to get up and go for a run to clear my head.