48

"Are you okay?" Sage asks

I load my books into my locker. "Yes, why?"

"You were quiet the whole way here, Lavender."

"I just have a lot on my mind, Sage." I shut my locker and start walking nowhere in particular.

My brother follows. "Like what?"

"Like the Paris scandal. A random person paid for us and you don't care. What if it's a stalker?"

"I highly doubt someone would take time out of their day to stalk two seventeen-year-old twins who switch between sitting at home all day or going to work," Sage explains.

"You never know." I shrug.

"I'm just enjoying it. We got a couple hundred dollars back for free and can go to Paris and look at all the good paintings. All we have to do is pack."

I stop walking and cover my mouth with my hand. "Oh my gosh. I forgot to pack."

"It's okay. You still have today and tomorrow."

"How could this have happened?" Now my hands are roaming through my hair.

"Lavender—" Sage squeezes my shoulder—"don't let it stress you out. I'll help you when we get home okay?"

I nod and take a subtle deep breath.

"Hey, Lavender. Can I talk to you?" Theo walks up to us.

"Yikes. I'm gonna go before this gets awkward," Sage comments before leaving somewhere.

I roll my eyes at my brother before facing back to Theo. "Um, sure."

"I wanted to talk to you about our kiss."

"Oh."

"It was a really good kiss, don't get me wrong. You're a great kisser, Lav—"

My face heats up and I look down. "Okay," I mumble.

"No, I— there's a point to this. I swear," Theo continues and I hesitantly nod. "I just don't think that can happen again."

I look back up at him and tilt my head. I know I shouldn't care but I can't help but feel upset.

"Did I do something?" I ask.

"Of course not." He eagerly shakes his head. "Lavender, I need you to understand that this has nothing to do with you. You're super sweet and incredibly pretty. This is just about my choice and what I think is best."

I sniffle and play with my fingers behind my back. "Are we at least still friends?"

"Of course! I like you, Lav. You're a good person." Theo tucks a piece of hair behind my ear and smiles. "See you later?"

I give a closed-lip smile. "Bye," I whisper.

I'm not a good person.

He leaves and I don't know what to feel. I don't think I even liked him like that but him still saying all that made me hurt. I just want to know what I did. Did I bite his lip by accident? Touch teeth? He was going to say something mid-kiss before his Mom walked in.