6

"After you," Elijah says

We walk in and he shuts the door behind us. A brief moment of silence occurs as I study the bedroom.

I hear him open his mouth to say something but I don't turn around.

"Do you have a crush on my brother?" he eventually asks with sass in his tone.

I spin to walk towards him. "Do you have a crush on my brother?"

He looks genuinely confused and unsure as he answers. "No?"

I stop walking and smile. "Then there's your answer." I try to boop his nose but he grabs my finger and narrows his eyes at me.

"You are so annoying," he implies.

"So I've heard. Hush now," I wave him off and face the wall, "I must imagine."

I have all the colors, so I can do anything I want. What's gender-neutral and colorful? I have to do a good job, I'm not going to let them all down because then they'll paint over it and never invite me ever again.

Lavender, stay on track.

What did Sage and I like as little kids?

Fighting, spitting, playing house, animals, pulling hair—

Animals.

"Animals!" I clap my hands.

"Animals?" Elijah asks but I jump at his voice since he's right beside me now.

"Yes, zoo animals, preferably. I love giraffes. I'm thinking I can paint it all like an off-white and paint like a tall giraffe looking over the crib and- oh, this is going to be so cute!" I grip his arm and jump up and down from how excited I am. "When can I get started?"

It takes him a minute to understand what I said as he looks down at my arm, I don't know why. I knew he was secretly stupid.

"Tomorrow, after school, if you'd like."

"Yes, please."

"Oh, and I'm sorry about downstairs. My family is just— well, you saw." He takes a quick glance at my shirt.

I snort and let go of his arm. "Are you kidding? I'm home alone with only Sage half the time. It's a nice change of pace."

My phone dings and I take it out of my pant pocket and check it.

'Hey, flower. Mommy will be home late tonight. Go ahead and make yourself some food. Texted your brother already. Sleep tight x.'

I sigh as I stare at the message for a few more seconds before shoving my phone back into my pocket.

Mommy Heather is a failing-to-recover alcoholic who I believe could be a great mom if she tried, but she rarely does. She leaves Sage and me alone all night for a guy she just met working as a strip club bartender. Sage and I think she's secretly a stripper but honestly, we're still debating if we actually want to go and find out.