29

I stare at the water as I wave my uninjured foot underwater

I stare at the water as I wave my uninjured foot underwater. Next to me, I can feel Elijah's eyes. They're so stuck on me that I practically feel like I'm burning. I sit here and pray that someone interrupts soon or one of us might do or say something we'll regret.

Finally, I feel his eyes leave my body. I slightly look over at him to see he's turned looking at the door that just opened.

Harper, Theo, and Sage walk out with a hard seltzer.

"Where did you get that?" Elijah asks.

"Me!" Cameron walks out in his swim trunks holding a whole pack.

"Why aren't you at work?"

"Dad let me out early, he took all my meetings."

All of them surround the hot tub and Cameron takes a seat on the other side of the rail next to me. He hands me the pack of alcohol and I choose the strawberry flavor. Handing the box to Elijah he awkwardly takes it from me and I see him choose the blackberry. He gives it back to me and I pass it over to Cam.

"You guys only get one, it's a school night."

I laugh at his attempt to act like a parent.

"Is your foot better?" Harper questions me.

I open my mouth to say something but Cameron interrupts me. "What happened to your foot."

"Theo pushed her in," Sage scoffs.

Theo's mouth goes wide making me smile. "It was an accident!"

I'm about to open my drink when Harper stops me. "Wait, Lovey, you should show them your party trick."

"It's not really a party trick it's just for fun," I shrug.

"Do it. Do it," Cameron starts chanting and Harper joins in.

I give in and poke a hole in the side of the can with my nail. Bringing it up to my mouth I chug. I hear my friends yell praises at me as I shotgun. I release the can from my lips and scrunch my face up as I swallow the burning fizzy liquid. I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand and bow when everyone claps for me, even Elijah.

I smile as I pull his shirt off my body before getting in the water with Harper and Lynn.

We all talk about our Halloween plans and the frat party I got invited to. Cameron tells us to be careful because he was once a frat boy and it wasn't pretty. We laugh and he gets a work call so he excuses himself and goes inside.

-
By now, the alcohol has gone to my head. I'm a lightweight and it doesn't help that I chugged it on an empty stomach. I can tell I'm being very loose with my body because Elijah is keeping his distance and gently keeps pushing me over to my side. The boys finally got all the way in too.

"We should 'play put a finger down'," Harper blurts out.

"What's that?" Theo and Elijah say at the same time.