8

We arrive at the hardware store and I head straight for the paint, Elijah following behind me

"Why couldn't Harper or Sage take you?" he complains.

"Because you would know what your mom would want. I want to make sure you all love it," I say. "And Sage would've whined the whole time but apparently, you guys had the same idea. Now, shut up."

We get to the paint sample aisle and I look for a bunch of earth tones. I find a brown that I think would be perfect for the giraffe and I bend down, accidentally pushing into Elijah.

I stand back straight and face him. He looks at me with wide eyes as he rushes out an apology. I shoo him away with my hands and bend back down to examine the brown.

I grab some browns, cremes, whites, greens, and blacks before walking over to the paintbrushes. I then take hold of a bunch of brushes, rollers, and paint trays.

"Why do you need so many?" Mr. Know-it-all complains, again.

"Why do you keep talking?" I mock his cries and tone.

He gives me an unamused look as I throw the brushes into the cart, giving him a petty smile.

I push the cart to the checkout line. I look down in the basket while we wait, counting everything.

"Oh shoot, I forgot something." I face Elijah to see he's already looking at me. "Could you do me a favor?"

He just glares at me.

"Please," I fake a pout and beg, dragging out the word. He sighs and caves. My frown turns upside down and I tell him to go find me a flathead screwdriver.

He's already been gone a few minutes when it's my turn to pay. I was about to lift the paint cans onto the conveyer belt but the cashier comes around and stops me.

"I can help you," he says.

I turn around to see a tall cute Asian boy carrying a handheld scanner, smiling at me.

Why is everyone so cute all of a sudden? Is this the universe telling me that I need to hook up with someone?

Go away, Universe.

"Oh! Thank you." I smile back, moving out of his way.

He scans all the paint cans I have in the cart, as well as all the paint brushes, rollers, and trays.

"There you go, ma'am." He walks back behind the register. "What are you painting, if you don't mind me asking?"

I get out my debit card as I answer him. "A friend's nursery. I'm doing zoo animals, preferably giraffes."

He rings me up and nods as I speak. "Well, good luck to you. You must be a pretty good painter. I'm assuming by your uniform that you go to the academy?"