11

I roll over and bury my face into the pillow to block the sunlight from my eyes

The only bad part about sleeping? Waking up.

I readjust a couple of times before sitting up against my pillows.

Why the hell is it always so bright in my room? I should invest in some curtains.

I stretch out my upper body before reaching under my pillow for my phone. Instead, my hand hits a book. I pull it out and open it to the part my bookmarks in. I quickly reread the page, then the next, then the next, until I get so into it I'm sinking back down into my bed.

My arms are in pain from holding up the book but it's just so good, I don't care.

I love reading, most people think it's boring but I just think they haven't found the right book yet.

I love romance, mystery, dystopian, poetry, almost everything. I even enjoy researching. Sure, I hate the assignment that comes with it but I find reading about different everyday topics very interesting. I like to think that knowing those things makes me a better person which gives me more motivation to continue.

Mom says I just use reading as an excuse to ignore everyone and be alone. She may be right but I think it's healthy to spend time by yourself. Everyone needs to learn how to be alone because, at the end of the day, we're all we have.

I play with my gold heart locket that's around my neck as my eyes roam the pages.

Suddenly, I hear noises outside my room. I don't move but I look at the door and then at my window. I shrug it off and go back to my book.

I hear it again but this time with an added quiet groan. My heart drops thinking it's Sage doing his... business but when a shadow pops up at my window, I feel like I'm about to have a heart attack. I sit up quickly and grip my book tightly in my right hand, ready to throw it at anyone who's there.

Elijah's stupid face pops into view and the next thing I know, he opens my window and climbs inside.

Before he gets completely in, I grab a pillow next to me and chuck it at him. "You are a moron, Rivera!"

He catches it against his chest and his face lights up with amusement. "Good morning to you too, princess."

"I will burn you alive. Stop calling me that."

He casually licks his bottom lip and bites it clean. I see his eyes drift down and I notice his lips start to form a smile. "Frankenstein?"

I look down at my book and then back at him. This time my face lights up with amusement. "Yes, have you read it?"

"No, not yet. Is it good?"

I nod. "Ver— wait, why the hell did you just climb through my window?"

"I just wanted the exercise," Elijah states.