22

I get to English class and we're still working on our essays

I get to English class and we're still working on our essays. I open the school laptop and start typing but immediately delete it.

Who the hell changed my life? At least for the better.

I bite the end of my pen, a bad habit I picked up. I never stopped it though because I always thought it was better than biting my nails.

Only two people come to mind, Harper and Sage. I love them both with everything I have. But to talk about them, I'd have to talk about some deep things that follow, and I don't want to get into all that. Especially in front of the whole class.

My leg bounces up and down under the table as my head rests on my hand.

I see a hand tap my desk so I look up. Mr. Johnson leans down and speaks in a low voice. "You alright? You can listen to music, you know?"

I nod and smile. "Thanks. I know," I whisper.

When he walks away, I drag my hands down my face and stare at the computer screen, somehow thinking an idea will come to me.

Twenty minutes later, the bell rings and I pack up and leave with no progress.

I switch out my English book for history and walk to Mr. Morgan's classroom.

I sit down and braid little pieces of my hair out of boredom.

I watch Harper walk into the classroom and give me a little wave with a smile.

I smile back and take a sip of the water I bought earlier.

The final bell rings and Mr. Morgan explains we're still working on our projects from yesterday.

While I grab the school's laptop, Elijah moves up one and scoots his desk closer to mine like last time.

I come back with the laptop and open it, but before I log in, I turn to Elijah.

"If you were going to write an essay on someone who changed your life, who would you write it about?"

I know I shouldn't have asked him. It went against everything I believed in as soon as the question came out of my mouth but I couldn't help it. I'm stuck and I cannot fail.

He thinks for a moment. "My grandma."

A faint smile comes across my lips. "In a good way or a bad way?"

He nods as his eyes move across my face. "In a good way. You're uh- lip is bleeding."

"Oh," I say to myself before I lick my cut as I turn my head.

I see Elijah's whole body lightly tense up out of the corner of my eye and I have no idea why.

"Here," I mumble as I slide him the laptop.

He clears his throat. "Well, the essay is pretty much done, it's just the slideshow now."

"I can do it. My creative skills are better than yours anyways." I shrug and take back the computer.