43

We finally find a snow cone stand and I take a seat at one of the picnic tables

"Do you want anything specific?" Elijah asks me, placing my bags down on the table.

"Surprise me."

He nods and goes to wait in line. I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

This is nice. I'm enjoying something completely for the first time in a while.

My leg shakes under the table as I anxiously wait for him to get back.

I wouldn't call this a date because it's not. We ate, we played games, he bought me flowers, but all as friends... if we can even call ourselves that.

I ate. In front of him. I never eat in front of anyone.

Maybe it's cause I think he's getting too suspicious of my eating habits.

But either way... do I somehow feel comfortable enough around him? Since when? What the hell?

And too comfortable that I accidentally talked about my dead dad. I don't even talk about it with my own brother.

What is he doing to me? And why do I feel so warm inside?

If I'm feeling the way I think I am, I must stop. it. now.

Elijah comes back with two snow cones in his hands. "Here you go, my winner," he teases.

I hide a smile as I dig my spoon into the strawberry-blue raspberry ice.

"You know, I'm still very impressed with how you finished two whole detailed giraffes in three hours."

"It was almost about to be four, it's no big deal. I enjoyed it," I reply.

I take a scoop of my flavored ice and swallow it. Staring at the table, my mind goes blank.

I love how I can be having fun one minute and then numb the other. What the fuck is wrong with me?

I sniffle and try to pull myself together. I look over and watch the happy people walking around.

"Can I ask?"

I look over at him. I nod, gesturing for him to continue.

"You still don't remember anything from the party?"

I groan. "Oh jeez. No." I play with my ice. "But I trust you so if you said I didn't do anything, I believe you."

He bites the inside of his cheek and nods, staring at his blue snow cone.