13

I'm driving downtown to go to the local bookstore

I'm driving downtown to go to the local bookstore. Ever since I saw Lavender's smile when I asked her about the book, I can't stop thinking about her— it. I said it.

I park and walk inside. I look around in all the sections I think it could be in and finally find 'Frankenstein'. I walk to the register and read it while I wait my turn to be checked out.

"I can help who's next," I hear. I look up from my book and realize it's me.

Walking to the register, a girl I recognize named Lynn comes into view. We're always paired for science projects and in a game of Spin the Bottle in middle school, we kissed but I don't think it's a big deal. I'd say we're well acquainted.

A beautiful girl, honestly. Her deep tan skin tone stands out with the white top she's wearing.

"Hi, Elijah!" She smiles as she scans my book.

"Hey, Lynn. How's your day going?" I question.

"Good, thank you for asking. I'm actually kinda glad I ran into you because um, I'm actually about to get off. Do you want to sit for a late lunch and talk about the next science project coming up? I know how you like to finish early," she offers as she bags up the book.

I look through the random fun bookmarks they have on the counter and smile when I see a giraffe. I pick it up and hand it to Lynn to scan.

"Hm? Oh, sorry. Yeah, I could go for some food," I mutter while paying.

Lynn beams and hands me my bag. "Okay, cool. I'll just be like three minutes then." She takes off her apron and walks away.

I nod and go sit on a couch near the entrance. Opening the book, I continue reading from where I was. Lynn takes exactly three minutes and we walk out of the store.

"So, where do you wanna go for lunch?" she asks.

"I heard BreadstiX is good. Would you like to try there?"

"Sounds good!" She looks over at me and her dimples are showing clear as day.

I'm watching her talk about a rude customer she had today when a body bumps into me, making me drop my bag.

"Sorry!" they say, bending down to pick it up but I can already recognize who it is from that strong strawberry-vanilla smell.

I look down to see Lavender's whole cleavage right below me. My eyes go wide in panic so I turn my head to watch the street.

That was an accident, I swear

"Hey," she starts talking again so I look at her, thinking she's standing again. When she's not and I get accidentally get another peak, I just stare at her headband.

God, I'm trying so hard to be respectful.

"I love this bo—" Lavender finally rises but once she sees me, she shows the disappointing closed-lip smile she does. "Oh. You know, I'm starting to think you're a stalker."

Me too a little bit.

"Hey, Lav? Isn't that one of your favorite books?" I look over at Harper and she's narrowing her eyes at me.

She hands me back the book as she mumbles a 'yeah'.

I hope she saw the giraffe bookmark. Please take a hint, you dumbass.

I watch Lavender as she looks over at Lynn, studying her. "Hey, Lynn. You look cute today." She flashes a friendly smile as she adjusts her shirt.

"Thanks! You too, Lav."

Couldn't agree more.

I check her outfit out and she looks amazing but it's a little out of her comfort zone. I look over at Harper's clothing and it makes a lot more sense now, they're twinning.

I watch Lavender until I see her head start to turn my way so I subtly glance over at the other two girls.

Am I the only one who feels that this is awkward?

"Where are you guys heading? Lavender and I are going to the clothing store, wanna join?" Harper glimpses over at me then Lav. I furrow my brows at her.

"Ohh, we were going to eat but-" Lynn turns towards me and shrugs-"we can change our plans if that's okay?"

You're the one who made them in the first place but sure.

I nod. "I should go then, have fun ladies."

"No, stay. Don't worry, you can be the male point of view which nobody cares about." Harper flashes me her famous proud petty smile and I tilt my head, playfully narrowing my eyes at her.

Lynn laughs at our exchange but Lavender's staring at the floor.

Did I do something?

"Is that okay, Lavender?"

She finally looks over at Harper, "Hm? Oh, yeah, for sure."

We start walking back the way we came and Lynn taps my shoulder. When I look over at her, she's showing me the puppies her dog just had. The last time I came over, her dog, Mirabel, was pregnant.

"Giselle would go crazy," I laugh as she hands me her phone to scroll.

"You should bring her over, let her pick one," she advises.

I scoff as I look over at her, handing her her phone back. "Yeah, right. I'd have to see if our mom would even let us have on in the house."

"Hey, guys. Let's go in this one!" We both turn around to see Harper pulling Lav into an expensive-looking store.

"Oh my gosh, guys. Do you know what we should do? We should turn it into a competition. Whichever person finds the cutest and cheapest outfit, wins. The loser has to pay for lunch and the dessert of the winner's choice. But we'll go pair by pair."

"You're onto something, Lynn. Lavender, let's go." Harper continues dragging her friend to the clothes while Lynn and I take a seat on the fancy couch in front of the dressing room.

***