skyfall

i had the concept for this chapter in my notes from november 2021 !! so happy it's out

if you don't already listen to the songs during the chapter, definitely do for this one! it definitely brings the chapter alive

it's a long one strap in

Sydney

I smoothed down my dress as we all headed into the elevator. No one knew what had happened in here yesterday and it was going to stay that way. I didn't know what to think, what to say about it.

Harry and I weren't together for a reason, I had broken his heart, he had left me. That was that.

Yesterday had been written off as excitement and lust, a mistake.

So much time had passed now, I had done so much work on myself and I wasn't sure if I was ready to throw myself back into everything. He probably didn't either.

I was still recovering and that was my main focus. After Harry and I had our moment, I found a back door exit from the hotel and took a cab. There was a church I knew a few blocks away that I had been going to whilst in the city, where they had AA meetings.

My friends were freaked but luckily I was back in time before the event.

Being in the city again, seeing Harry, being around this life, it scared me. For a few weeks I had kept everything under control, but I didn't expect to see him and it threw me. The thoughts of drinking to calm down or to numb the memories of before, became present.

It was so frustrating, I was back to where I had started. But this time I knew my sobriety, my health and my relationships were what I had to put first. I couldn't be with Harry until I was healed, completely. I couldn't bring him down with me again.

We'd successfully avoided each other all night at the mocktail evening. I stood glued to Jaden, who kept me away from Harry, unaware of what had taken place that day. He still thought we hadn't spoken.

"Hey Syd." Bella smiled, softly rubbing my arm.

I broke from my thoughts and looked over at her, "Hey. Sorry just...in my head a little."

"It's okay. The speech will be fine, you're a natural. Whatever you say, it'll be perfect." She smiled sweetly, reminding me of the crumpled up piece of paper in my purse.

I let out a long breath, "Yeah, yeah. It'll be okay. Sorry yesterday just freaked me out a little bit."

She nodded, an understanding but not really knowing nod. We all walked out the elevator as it dinged and opened up to the ground floor. Gigi, Bella, Kendall, Harry H, Zayn and Jaden were all squeezed into the two elevators.

"Okay cars out outside. Shall we?" Jaden said, extending his arm to take mine.

A smile broke out on my face, "We shall."

***

The gala was a much bigger event than I had realised. Harry obviously had been invited, along with an array of other New York socialites. The large ballroom at the Waldorf had been decked out in gold and black. YSL were the sponsors so their logo was also splashed around.

There were tables around the edge of the room and on a stage an orchestra were playing. I assumed that's where I would be making my speech, a microphone and stand were on the side.

"Our table is over here Sydney." Harry H called out and I turned to join the rest of the group.

I was wearing a lace YSL dress, black Loubitons and a black YSL blazer over my shoulders.