falling

Harry

"Okay Harry. How many songs are we thinking so far?" Jeff asks, typing on his phone making notes.

"I'm thinking between 10 and 15. I have 15 so far but we can weed out any that don't fit the vibe. Medicine will have to be scrapped again." I explained, flicking through my journal full of songs.

I heard a soft thud as Sarah hit her palm to her chest, "Ouch." She joked, knowing how much we all loved the song.

I chuckled in response, "I'm sorry."

Jeff didn't look up to our interaction, still typing, "Okay. What is the vibe? The last album was testing out sounds, we got a bit of everything. Does this have a name, visuals?"

I looked down at the words clear on my page, circled a hundred times. They couldn't get out of my head when I was writing, sleeping. I knew this was the album name, but it felt ingenious, which was why I hadn't mentioned it.

"I have one, it's temporary. Well...I'm not sure." Still looking at the words, I could see her face. The memories of her before and the memories of her now blurring together.

"Go on then."

Looking over at Mitch, I said, "Fine Line."

His body seized up, feeling uncomfortable. We both knew it was a suggestion by Sydney, she had told us she wanted an album called Fine Line. This felt like a theft, it wasn't mine to have, but I couldn't let it go.

"Are you sure H?" Sarah said, her face the same as Mitch. She knew too.

I kept flicking through the pages until I felt something slide out softly. I caught it before it dropped on the floor, it was a Polaroid I had taken and must've slipped in.

I had taken it of Sydney in her flat, god knows when

I had taken it of Sydney in her flat, god knows when. It felt like years ago now.

"Yeah. I know what you're thinking but it's the only thing that clicks. This album was written with her in mind, every song is for her. What else could I call it?" I replied, sliding it back in on the page that read Falling.

Jeff was half listening, "Okay. Fine Line, I like it. Have you got anything to play for me? Something I can bring back to the label?"

"Yeah. I wrote something a few weeks ago, Falling. Pretty simple melody, on the piano. I haven't got any visuals...but the song...it feels like your drowning. Slowly sinking in water." I explained, pulling a seat over to the piano.

"Sounds cheery! Okay, let me record." Jeff laughed, going over to the mixing desk with Kid.

I opened up my notebook on the stand, Sydney's picture on the page. My face smiled sadly, I couldn't bring myself to move it. It was strange, it was almost like she had died. Everyone didn't want to mention her, but if they did they only could in the past tense.