Chapter 50

HARRY

She counts one to five, enough time for me to turn on the switch on the electricity, giving power to the lights I hung around the place near the lake like a tent. I've set a hammock for us and a table of food and some music and a shelf of her favourite books around the place making it like a secret hiding place.

I watch how her features change from surprised to shocked, her thoughts running in her head unable to come to stop. Her eyes shine under the so many bulbs hanging around above her.

"I wanted to apologise because I feel even after I came back from the airport the other day, I never got to say how sorry I am for putting you through so much torment. I was so selfish to find out the truth. I only thought about what I wanted but forgot that I'm hurting you through it."

"Harry-" Kiara tries to stop me.

"Please let me finish. I know what you're going to say. But I need to do this for myself." I say truthfully.

"I don't think I'll ever get that day out of my head. Maybe years from now or even more... but I want you to know that I still believe something happened to us that night. You don't have to say anything Kiara. I understand now that it wasn't the same for you, I get it. But what I don't get is how such an intense moment could only impact one of the individuals. Then again, I'm not forcing you to tell me anything. Maybe this happened all in my head, a dream I'm still reeling from.."

"Harry, stop apologising. You have nothing-"

"I have. I hurt you. For weeks. I hate myself for it. And I hate myself for the next question I want to ask from you." I say in guilt.

"What is it?" she asks, so gently, I hate that I might break her. She surprises me by walking closer to me, only leaving centimetres away. I can literally feel her body heat hitting me gently.

"Do you-" I sigh, part of me wanting to forget about asking her but another, stronger part of me want to know the truth. "Do you regret the kiss?" I finally blurt out. Something changes in her. Her eyes become more vigilant, much more vivid. She sighs before saying,

"I honestly don't know," she says, looking to the ground, avoiding eye contact. "I don't think I regret it..I just wish I was more intact with my brain and actions at that time." she says, finally looking at me, our faces only centimetres away. I watch her watch me.

"What are you thinking?" I ask, my voice just above a whisper. Her eyes move from my chin to my eyes in a swift movement.

"I'm scared of what I might do to you next. I hate how my body isn't in sync with my brain when I'm this close to you." she says and I can't help but smile because I couldn't agree more.

"Why don't we find out then?" I smile.

"Find out what?" she asks, her eyes locked on mine. I didn't have to answer because I think my eyes did. "Oh.." she whispers, her eyes moving down to my cheek and then to my chin, my neck and then back to my chin where she stays for several seconds before shifting her eyes finally to my lips.

"Beautiful," I don't even know who said it first but suddenly it's like the world around me, us, has just stopped. It's like it's only us in the world in this incredibly terrifying position.

And just like that I feel her nose touching mine making my breath hitch. Every ounce of whatever self control I had seems to disappear.

"Kiara-" like the force of two sides of a magnet, she cuts me off by closing the distance between us, kissing me fully, finally granting me the wish I've wanted the most. Herself. And we attract wonderfully.