Chapter 15

“Yeah, the kids are so sweet!” I agree with Marianne. 

“Giving me all the more reason to have one” she says cheekily before it clicks me. 

“Oh my gosh! Congratulations!” I hugged her before I could stop myself. Did I mention my love for babies?

“Thank you, Kiara” she beams and I smile at the happy mother-to-be. 

“How far are you?”

“Three months and ten days” she says and I nod. 

“Are you having your first baby?” 

“Yeah and funny, how I’m loving this journey. Women say it's a crazy journey with all the morning sickness and being sick most of the time and being moody-oh man! I wonder how I will be..” she laughs before continuing. “With all that, I still feel like it’ll be the best thing I’ll ever do..you know?” she says and then chuckles. “Then again, I’m talking like I’m already a mother” I smile at how she’s being herself. 

“I agree with everything you said and to be honest, I’ve loved kids since forever! And I’m so happy for you!” I still can’t contain my joy over Marianne having a baby. I still have to remind myself that it’s not even a week since i've been here but I’ve gotten comfortable pretty fast. 

“Oh, that’s the bell!” she chirps before wrapping her food up. I do the same before standing up. 

“Thanks again for being my lunch date” I smiled

“Of course! I’m happy I have someone like you” she smiles and I return it before walking to the elevator. 

Five minutes and I’m walking into the empty library, and the first thing I do is double check the schedule. Eighth grade. I walk to the small table where I've  arranged exactly twenty books in a tower for the children so they could pick one and start reading or take home to finish it. 

“Good morning, miss Kiara!” My head snaps up towards the door to see students piling in. 

“Hello, you guys. Come on in and take a seat.” I smile as they all find their seats. “Do you guys have anything specific you want to do?” I ask them just in case. 

“Can we play UNO?” one of the boys asks, raising his hand. 

“Sure! Does everyone want to play  UNO?” I ask while walking towards the wooden cupboard where all the board games and card packs are stored. 

“Can I borrow a book please?” a girl with beautiful brown hair asks.

“Of course you can. Choose whichever book you like from those books over there” I tell her, pointing at the stack of books i kept ready for all of them.

“Alright, who wants to play in the first round?” I ask them and seven of them raise their hands. I hand them the card pack and tell them once they finish to give the others a chance too before I walk to my table. 

Me: How’s work?

I sent it, just to check if everything is alright. I didn't receive a response immediately, not that I expected it anyway. I just shift my focus to the computer and familiarise myself with the system thing. 

I get bored of course since I’m not a tech person. I walk around the library, watching the children play before my eyes catch the girl with brown hair who is seated alone on one couch. 

“Hey. what are you reading?” I ask with a smile, sitting next to her. She looks a little nervous but gives me a small smile. 

“Moby Dick” she replies and I smile.